Being Tackled is the First Step to Love

Oliver nearly choked on his breath, his heart pounding furiously in his chest. Should he go down there? Should he introduce himself? Should he run for it? Should he dance like he's drunk to make the guy think he was insane? Oliver knew that being cursed as a submissive alpha would mean that he would definitely have a dominant as a mate. Just to screw with him. Even when Oliver was younger, he didn't really care what the sex or secondary characteristic of his mate would be. He just wanted a mate. Of course that was when he thought he was a normal alpha and Cindy Larson from fifth grade was the prettiest girl in school who he was going to marry. Shit really changed from back then.

Oliver stood on four shaky paws, breathing unsteadily. His eyes were wide with terror, though he could feel hope start to blossom in his chest. The wolf prince was looking carefully around the airfield, several bold wolves coming up to them in the hope that they would either be the wolf prince's mate or one of his compatriots. Oliver, nervously fidgeted. The man was turning wolves away looking annoyed. He was in a nice jacket with shiny silver cufflinks, a grey button down shirt with black pants and black shoes. He wore a silver tie to match his cufflinks.

Oliver let out a dreamy sigh before shaking his head. If the prince didn't find his mate, he would leave the airfield. But now that Oliver knew who his mate was, he knew he'd be able to find the prince in the central pack territory. How he would get in to a probably well secured pack would be a different story. Oliver shakily breathed in and out, thankful that the wind had been upwind so he would have the chance to smell his mate. Know that they existed. Pretend for a second that maybe his mate wouldn't reject him.

The wind suddenly shifted, blowing harshly past him and down wind towards his mate. Oliver's eyes got huge. The prince had turned to leave the airfield with the other men before freezing in place, nose in the air. Oliver held his breath. Once your mate smelled your scent, they knew your sex and your secondary characteristic. Oliver saw the man take several deep, heavy breaths. The two men who had come with him hurried over to his side. The prince must have said something to the men, both looking around frantically in the airfield. Oliver felt his hope rise, taking an unsure step towards the hill that lead out of the forest and to the airfield before his breath caught in his throat. The prince was getting back into his car. Oliver felt as though someone shoved cold water into his lungs. The prince could smell he was a submissive alpha. Knew what a useless and worthless waste of air he was.

Oliver choked on his breath, feeling sobs want to choke out of him while he was in his wolf form. He could feel everything inside him break apart. His mate was rejecting him. He was going to slowly go into madness and become a rogue. Become a mindless killing machine. All because he couldn't be loved as both a submissive or as an alpha. Oliver knew wolves couldn't cry, but it didn't change the fact that his vision had become blurry anyway. Oliver's foot mistepped on part of the cliff ledge, several loose rocks and dirt tumbling down the cliff side. Oliver ran.

If only he noticed that the driver who had first gotten out of the car, looked over to the cloud of dust from the cliff, seeing a blond tail leaving his view. The man's eyes widened, turning to the prince, only to see him half hanging out of the car. The driver pulled the man by the waist of his pants, the prince having smelled his mate and wanting to take off his clothes so they wouldn't be torn. The prince had gotten one shoe, half his jacket and part of his tie off in his excitement to see his mate, his fingers too excited to work properly. From the cliff's edge you could only see the driver yelling at the prince (which was very odd from an outside perspective if you knew who that man was). The prince and his guard both snapped their heads to the cliff side, shifting fast through their clothes, running up the hill to the cliff edge. They moved faster then any of the wolves had seen who were still on the airfield; it was impressive to watch. They all wondered who the mystery mate was to the prince.