Part 13

I was shocked. It wasn't at the fact that he felt that way about me but the fact that he actually said it. I didn't speak for a while and Calum seemed to understand why as he sighed lightly and told me "I know it's probably not the best timing and you probably want nothing to do with me but I can't stay away from you."

I was brought back to reality when he spoke and I was hesitant. "I love you, Calum but I can't trust you. I can't trust that you won't hurt me again or be lying to me. I love you but I can't be with you right now. It's too soon"

Calum nodded his head in agreement and we sat in silence for a minute before he groaned in pain. "Can I stay here for the night? I don't know if I can make it back to mine and I can stay on the couch or wherever but..."

I stood up with a small smile and held out my hand for him to take. He chuckled lightly before taking it and following me to my small bedroom. We got under the covers and I just stared at my ceiling until I heard Calum's breathing even out. I looked at the alarm clock next to me and saw the bright neon red numbers read out 3:15 AM. I sighed and decided to go to the kitchen for some water.

I looked through the cabinets for a glass and saw some cake mix. I didn't see myself sleeping any time soon so I grabbed the box and all the ingredients needed before I got to work. As I was grabbing the eggs to crack them into the mix I heard footsteps leading to the kitchen and turned to see a sleepy Calum. I laughed and let out a soft "Sorry" before turning back to the bowl in front of me.

"I know I should be surprised but this is probably the least shocking thing I've seen you do." His raspy voice clearly was yearning to go back to sleep but he moved next to me and grabbed the spoon to start mixing the ingredients. I smiled and watched him work sleepily. I grabbed the cake pan and sprayed it before preheating the oven and seeing Calum start pouring the batter into the pan. We didn't talk until the cake was in the oven.

"If we start to smell burning what's the plan?" I ask teasingly, knowing that we both can't cook for shit. Calum laughs and responds with our typical plan that we always recited before attempting to cook anything. "I grab the fire extinguisher and you turn off the smoke detector."

I start to clean up the small mess we made and Calum gets out his phone before playing some music. He grabs my arms and starts to dance. He has a goofy smile on his face and I can't help but return it and join in with him. We were just trying to see who could make the other laugh harder with our dance moves and it felt like high school all over again.

I was currently clutching my stomach and tearing up at Calum trying to follow along with the music while doing the backstreet boys' classic moves when the oven dinged and signaled the cake was done. Calum turned the music down and grabbed some oven mitts before he took the cake and placed it on the stovetop.

"Let's get to bed, it's getting late," Calum stated softly with a smile on his face. I nodded and grabbed his hand before falling back under the covers once again. This time I drifted off easily with images of the man next to me playing through my dreams.