Part 20

Calum P.O.V.

Lounging around on Y/N's couch was easily becoming my favorite thing to do. The movies were hardly ever watched but just being next to her was all I needed. I looked over at her next to me and saw the makeup-free face that I loved. Love. Every freckle I counted just added to the abundant sum that was already boundless. Love. Every stray piece of hair that fell on her face. Love. Every crease that appeared as she smiled. Love. Every speck of warmth in her eyes. LoveLoveLove.

"Alright stalker, you've been staring at me for the past ten minutes." She didn't even turn to look at me, just raised her eyebrows smugly as she drew her mug to her lips.

I smiled even larger at her statement and she finally turned to look at me. "Just counting the things I love about you," I replied, utterly lovestruck at the beauty in front of me. She rolled her eyes and pretended to gag at my statement. We continued joking around until I got a call into work.

Leaving her was always the hardest part of my day. She never fully understood the full extent of the danger my job held. Walking out of her door, I felt my stomach clench and sensed something was wrong. I quickly met up with Ashton and Luke as Michael was at the office speaking to us over our earpieces. The job was simple. Go in, get the money we were shorted, get out.

The only thing that wasn't simple was the fact that we were walking into an ambush. The three of us ran as fast as we could back out the door and to safety but I quickly lost them and fell to the ground. The asphalt underneath me was warm with the summer heat even as the darkness grew and I didn't have to look down to realize what had happened. I was shot.

I reached a hand down to my abdomen and felt the wetness I was dreading. I was quickly bleeding out and I couldn't get back to my feet. Tears were falling rapidly down my face at the realization of my fate. An ambulance wouldn't come quick enough and even if I did make it, I would be arrested and I couldn't put Y/N through that. Y/N. I reached into my pocket and grabbed my phone. I didn't think twice as I clicked on her contact and waited for her voice to answer me one last time.

"Hey Cal, are you coming back soon?" She sounded tired but hopeful and the guilt that filled my chest was overwhelming. "Hey, babydoll, no I uh, I think I'm gonna stay a little late tonight but I just wanted to tell you that I love you. So fucking much." I tried my best to keep my voice stable but I'm sure there was some wavering as Y/N questioned it. "I don't have too much time before I have to get back to work but I have something to tell you and I know it's not really a good time and I meant to do this in person but fuck Y/N I want to marry you. I always have and I always planned on it and I even bought a ring back in London but I knew it was too soon. But I just want you to know because I love you and I want forever with you."

There was a short silence on the other end before she spoke again, "You better get here and ask me in person whenever you can, Hood. I love you so fucking much." The tears continued to fall as I laughed and tried to not groan. I heard sirens in the distance and knew my time was running out. "I'll see you soon. Sleep well. I love you." My voice cracked slightly as I spoke but Y/N didn't ask as she replied softly, "I love you, Cal. Talk soon."

The line went dead and I smiled as much as I could. Looking up at the dark sky I felt my body start to go numb as the sirens got louder.

"Talk soon, Y/N."

A/N: Sad endings are the worst but here we are....