Chapter 8.2: after school

Aizawa's Pov

I sat on the couch and watched as y/n moved slowly through the room to the kitchen. We'd only gone up two flights of stairs and she was mildly winded. A black streak ran in from the hallway and into the kitchen. 

"There you are Kage, I was wondering when you'd come out to welcome me home. Why don't you go keep Aizawa company while I cook dinner," she said lightly as she bent down to scratch the cat's head. It purred contently and moved its head to the side before strolling lazily about the room. I watched as Kage pounced onto the couch next to me and peered up at me carefully. 

"I'm gonna make dinner now. Anything you'd want in particular," y/n asked causing both myself and the cat to turn and look at her. 

"Whatever you want is fine," I shrugged, before looking back at Kage. He was glaring back at me and let out a growl. I rose a brow as we held our gaze until y/n came and sat on the coffee table in front of me. He let out another growl.

"Quit it Kage, it's jut Aizawa. Be nice to our guest," y/n scolded the cat. He hopped onto the table and sat next to her, with his eyes slitted. 

I looked at one of the plates in y/n's hand. She'd made onigiri. 

"I thought we could eat finger food since you're mr.independent," she laughed lightly as she held a plate out to me. I grabbed one of the balls of rice and slowly bought it up to my mouth and took a bite. 

Y/n set down the plate next to her and grabbed a sushi roll from the second plate. The food on this plate was significantly smaller, it was salmon rolls. She held it out to Kage, who didn't even hesitate to take a bite out of it. 

"Wanna try?"

"What?"

"Do you wanna try feeding him, you look like you're curious Aizawa."

I nodded and took her up on the offer, slowly reaching out to grab a salmon roll from the plate. I held it out to the cat who had been glaring at me minutes ago. Kage looked up at me then at the food before cautiously biting into it. 

"How come you aren't calling me by my first name like you do with Hizashi and Nemuri," I asked never taking my eyes off of the black cat. 

"I don't know. Do you want me to?"

I shrugged.

"It's weird kage growled at you the way he did. If I didn't know any better I'd say he was jealous," she mused looking at me with a playful smile, a hand scratching behind Kage's ear. 

I ate another onigiri, "what happened to your eye."

Her hand went up to her left eye that was covered by a bandage that covered some of her cheek and wrapped around her head. 

"I got cut by a sharp rock when the nomu slammed my face into the ground," she said looking away from me, her smile weaker. 

"How bad is it," I murmured. 

"It'll be fine, it's not the first time I've had to fix my eyes. Anyways, do you wanna shower or anything? You can sleep in my room, it's got the only real bed," she started to switch the subject.

"I could just sleep on the couch."

"No you should take the bed. I can't really lay down and I doubt I'll sleep very much anyways. I'm supposed to sleep elevated so I should be practically sitting."

"Why?"

"Oh it's nothing too bad," she laughed and started to clean up, taking the dishes to the kitchen. She came back with two glasses of juice, one with a straw. She lifted it up and directed the straw where my lips could meet it. What she said next caught me a bit by surprise, "its just a few broken ribs."