C8

How hard can cleaning a room be? I'm not the most neat person but I used to clean my room at least once a week and I've never needed anyone's help. The Headmaster wouldn't even let me have a say in the matter. If he thinks Roman can mentor me in the whole witchcraft world, then so be it, although I'm sure I'm one hundred percent human. I do not need Roman to help me clean my supposed room. He's a guy, shouldn't he hate something like this especially when he doesn't seem to want to talk to me.

The walk to the room is silent. Going from the school building to the dorm has never been more long and slow. It's clear that Roman doesn't want to be here and I'm not sure how the Headmaster managed to convince him to do this. He stays ahead of me, and no matter how much I try to catch up with him he just keeps going faster.

The location of the room is in another building, different from the one I'm currently staying. I stand back, allowing Roman to go ahead and open the room. It's dark inside but from where I'm standing I can see cobweb everywhere, which tells me it's been a while since anyone has been in here.

"Why am I being moved to this room?" I break the comfortable silence Roman throws us in. "The Headmaster said someone is going to replace me at my old room. I just want to know why I'm here. This place looks haunted, I don't think anyone has been here for at least five years."

I don't expect him to answer but he surprises me. I haven't spent much time with him but I know he's the type of person that takes his time to achieve things and do whatever he wants like sneaking out of school to go to a party miles from here. Still have to talk to him about that though. If he can sneak out without being caught, so can I.

"You enrolled late. The dorms are filled. This place hasn't been used because it's a staff's room and we haven't had any use for it since the last occupant died in here."

Even though he answers my question, he doesn't move his gaze off the room. My eyes won't stop shooting daggers at the back of his head. "Is there no other options?" I ask because I don't how I feel about staying in a room where the last occupant died.

I wait for his reply since he answered my previous question but nothing comes from him except movement as he walks closer into the room. I can't enter there until I have the things I'm going to use to clean it.

"I'll need a broom and a total transformation of th–"

Spoke too soon.

The words hangs in my throat as I watch the room lights up before it completely transform into a clean room.

"What the hell?"

My feet carries me inside room, going to stand in front of Roman. His gaze falls on me and for the first time I look at him from a close distance. My eyes asking the question my mouth can't, it appears something is stuck in my throat.

"It's just an old parlor trick, Camille." He answers like he can read the curious look on my face.

Wow. Old parlor trick that can transform rooms. I have to learn how to do it.

"Will you teach me how to do it." I request, trying not to sound desperate.

He proceeds to do something I never in a million years thinks he's capable of. He lets out a throat, deep laugh and even if the laugh was unexpected, the intention in it, the mockery doesn't come as a surprise.