1. First Day at Uni

"Mom, please don't cry! You're going to embarrass me!", I complain giving her a huge hug so people don't see her crying and also, it's a good way to hide my face from everyone. I don't want someone to recognize me as the girl whose mother was crying all the time.

"My babygirl is going to be so far away from us", she sobs.

"Please dad, say something to her. We've been here for 15 minutes and I need to meet with my mentor or someone like that".  I complain.

The University gives us, the newcomers, the opportunity to have someone who guides us here so we don't get lost and know our way around here and maybe give us some tips.

"Darling, Daniel is 10 minutes from here. If anything happens to her, he'll help. She's not on her own." my dad reassures her.

In case you don't know, Daniel is my big brother and he's studying Biochemistry here. Why am I staying in the dorms and not in his flat with another friend of his? Well, it's his man cave and they don't want any girl around unless some of them is interested in her, you know what I mean.

"Mom, I'll call you whenever I can". — My mother shoots me a dead glance. — "Okay, every night, is that better for you?" — and she smiles now. Good way of emotional manipulation, mom.

"I guess I'll have to settle for that". Yeah, you have to. "I still don't understand why you pack only the essential, what about your toys? And your little teddy bear?" she repeats and I know I'm blushing because of the embarrassment. I pray no one around here goes to my class because this is humiliating.

"Mom, this isn't Toy Story, okay? Why don't you go for a walk and see how much the university has changed since you've left?". — I glance at my father pleading for help and he nods slightly, grabbing my mother by the shoulders.

"That's a really good idea. What if we go back in time and go to the place we met for the first time?" — My mother covers her mouth and starts crying again but I'm sure it's not because of me now. I try not to cry as well because of the fact that my father is a hopeless romantic and I'd cry too if I were my mother. 

As far as they've let me know, they met in the first year of University. They lived down the hallway from each other and met on move-in day at a dorm. But it started one day when he was always playing guitar — the same song over and over. And my mother was so tired of listening that song, so she put a note under his door about how terrible it was: 'Please learn a new song!' and well, they ended up together and had their song.

"Are you okay carrying all your package?" — I nod and they give me a big hug before they go. This can't be so difficult, I think while I glance at my two suitcases.

I start to search for my mentor looking at my surroundings. Newcomers saying goodbye to their crying parents, others are lost trying to find their way to their dorms and some of them talking about sorority houses. Nerves are taking the best of me as far as I walk to the person who has a signal with my name and my grade on it, so they avoid misunderstandings. 

She is a brown-haired girl and probably taller than me. She's wearing a t-shirt with the name of the university on it and I wonder where I can get one of these or if I need to be part of the orientation team to get one. I was about to introduce myself to her when I heard it.

"Giselle?!" Oh no, it can't be.

I don't have time to react when two strong arms hold me tight against his body, spinning me around. When my two foots touch the ground, I hit him sometimes. First of all, because he scared the shit out of me and because I can't believe my eyes. I mean, what the hell is he doing here?

"What the hell are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to study at London University?"—  I yell at him but I can't help but smile so brightly.

"Well, it wouldn't be a surprise if I told you that... I'm going to study here!"