7. Nervous, not serious

Friday has arrived and with it the welcome party. These past few days have been great, Alice and I have become great friends and now we get together with Lizzy, Jane and the boys including Thomas and I must say it is a very interesting group to start this year with. I said Alice to meet us at the party at 8, since this begins a little earlier and everything ends at 2 as it is a party organized by the university and not by some fraternity.

Bailee has sent me a message saying that she would be late because of a teacher who is already beginning to explain the first topic on his first day of teaching. Really? In the first day? While Jake is in a kind of meeting to enter the fraternity of a friend of his. Anyways, thinking about what things I can do while I'm alone, I decide to put the photos I have brought on the cork on my desk.

I rummage through my suitcase until I find them inside an envelope that says "Memories" in my brother Peter's handwriting and I can't help but smile at the detail. I open it slowly and let all the photos fall over my desk carefully. The first one I take is one of the girls in Brighton with Scott and Jake. It was one of the first days that they went to our city and we thought that the best idea was to do a small touristic photoshoot and what place is better for that than the pier. Who would tell me that I would be here with Jake now? I remember all the times Hannah told me that I would end up dating Jake and I laugh because  none of us feel that for each other.

It's kind of funny because I talked to her via Skype a few hours ago and she freaked out when I told her that Jake is studying here as well but the topic quickly changes once I ask her what's going on in her life and that was her signal to talk for hours and I can't be happier to listen to what she has to say. 

From what I understand, the next semester she is going to start a 3-year course to be a teacher and thus be able to work in the camp where she went during all her childhood all those summers in which her parents went on a trip. She has always liked children, I don't know why she hadn't thought about that option until now.

My gaze goes to the next photo and I can feel my heart on my sleeve, about to leave my body. My fingers tremble at the sight of Reece and me in the campfire days before the end. I find myself sitting on Reece's lap but I wasn't looking at him, but laughing at something I don't remember now. Reece's hands wrap around my waist and he gazes at me with a smirk.

"So is it true that you were Reece's girl?" Bailee says behind my back and I scream with my heart racing.

"What the hell Bailee, you've scared the shit out of me! Don't ever do that again!" I yell at her and put her hands up surrendering.

"Sorry, I wouldn't want to interrupt you in such a emotional moment!" Bailee defends herself and stand still beside me looking at my photos which were in her hands now. She shows me a photo of me and Blake, "You know, I find it strange the fact that you knew him before me and that I have been talking about him all this time and you already knew what he was in a certain way". 

"Wait, didn't you say to me the you've been dating for 7 months now?" I ask her confused and she sits in my bed with my memories in her hand.

"When you guys were at that trip, we had been talking for 2 months via WhatsApp but we had never seen each other in real life since we lived in different cities and maybe that's why he kept me as a secret. But that ended when he came to my town one month later and asked me to be his girlfriend". Bailee smiles like a fool probably re-living all those memories in her pretty head.

"Wow, I didn't know Blake was such a hopeless romantic", we both laugh and she stands up offering me her help putting the photos on the wall. We were in a confortable silence until she speaks up.

"Who would say that you would end up being so close huh" Bailee comments showing me a photo and I don't need to look at it to know who she's referring to. I gulp loudly not knowing what to answer and thoughts run through my head: does he know I'm here?