11. Club and family

"Welcome to the club!" Maddie welcomes me as soon as she sees me on the other side of the door, I give her a sincere smile and she steps aside to leave me room to pass.

The room is decorated with clippings from newspapers and magazines, I suppose that they are already preparing the new edition of this month since we are already in early October. The tables are full of documents and studded essays and the white board is full of what seems to be the topics that the magazine is going to contain: football match, explosion in a chemistry lab, a gossip section, love story ... I sit next to my other classmates after making a small presentation, so that at least they know my name, and silence takes over the room when Maddie gets in front of the blackboard, so I guess it's the director, to put it in some way.

"Well, as you may already know, Giselle, Olive and Alex are the newcomers. Let's introduce yourselves guys!" Maddie claps her hand and starts, "I'm Maddie and your boss here, but don't worry I'm not an excruciating boss"

A boy gets up putting his glasses on and says, "I'm David and I'm the photographer but it would be great having some help, so Alex you're going with me since I've heard you're interested in it" Alex makes the military salute causing the laughter of others.

"I guess I'm the next on line" a brunette girl stands up and looks around her a bit nervous but firm, "I'm Zoe and I'm the editor, so all your works have to pass through me and need my approbation, I'm pretty flexible and like the most of them, so no pressure, it's a newspapers club"

We continue with the presentations for 15 more minutes to get to know ourselves a little more and we move on to the topics to be discussed that turn out to be those written on the board.

"I think it would be fair for the newcomers to stay with the topics that neither wants to take up or we don't have time to do them, since they take many hours." one boy who seems to be one of the oldest says and several of them nod at his response. I guess it's fair since we don't have too much works to do.

"Okay, that leaves us with three topics to choose for them. Who wants to start choosing?" Maddie announces us and the three of us look at the board undecided.

"I ask myself the topic of the future of Erasmus students, you just have to ask them some questions like why they decided to come to this university and that, right?"  Olive mumbles and David nods.

"You'll have to find out who they are, but yeah" I was about to choose when Alex cuts me off.

"I'll take the next one!" Alex shouts and I sigh, that means that the subject that remains is going to be mine.

The charity football match this Saturday.

It is definitely not my favorite topic of the three, nor the second favorite but it could be worse, right?

"It's settled then, good jobs 'compis'!" Maddie exclaims excitedly, "we need the essay and photos next week, you can leave if you want but it would be nice if you stay, so you know your way around here" David nods looking at Alex.

I decide to stay one more hour since I don't have much to do and so I relax a little from what happened with Thomas this morning. Olive sits next to me while we watch each person go from one side to the other with their work and waiting for someone to ask for help so they can contribute and not be here standing. On the other hand, David is showing Alex how his camera is doing in case he has to use it one day for important days. Olive takes notes of everything and write some questions to ask and stops for a minute to glance at me nervously.

"Can you come up with any more questions?" she asks, giving me her notebook so that she can see what she has written.

"It would be great if you asked them where they come from, that's missing" Olive's eyes wide and her cheeks turn red with embarrassment.