14. Feeling starstruck

"I can't believe we're going to meet a director who won a freaking BAFTA award! Do you know the merit of that?" I shout excitedly for the fifth time since we entered the university lecture hall.

"I wonder how much the University paid him for him to come here" Lizzy wonders aloud and we can't help but laugh although we all know that the number is more than 4 digits. I mean, a director of that recognition must have a lot of projects in production.

I'm sitting between Lizzy and Jane who is in the corner, while Thomas and Nate are to Lizzy's left. I see Thomas glaring at me and I turn around quickly, focusing my gaze on Lizzy and avoiding him seeing me blush. How I hate that he has that effect on me after everything it's been going on with him and Reece lately. I had been talking to Reece since the last time we saw each other but lately he doesn't usually reply to me on Whatsapp and I can't help feeling a kind of disappointment. 

From what he told me lately, he is very busy with the football team and essays that he has to hand in to his professors, although that does not prevent me from looking at my mobile a lot of times waiting for a message from him that never arrives despite being connected sometimes. Could it be that he doesn't really want to talk to me and the rest is just an excuse? Could he just tell me, right?

I look at the phone once more and I find a message from Blake and another from Reece, I smile unconsciously when I see the second one but I decide to leave it for the last. I open Blake's and put my hands to my head, how could I have forgotten that we were meeting today?

Blake: Remember that this afternoon we have to buy the presents for Bailee, I'll wait for you at the exit!

Me: I'm at a conference right now, I'll let you know when I get out!

A leather skirt? I think she already has one, should I look at her closet and see what is missing? God no, it would be very creppy, maybe it would be a better idea to ask Blake.

"Shit, what can I buy her?" I mumble, throwing my head back, thinking of various possibilities, although I end up dismissing them from my mind.

"To who?" Lizzy asks suddenly interested in what I'm saying and Jane frowns confused.

"Already thinking of a gift for Thomas' birthday?" Jane nudges me and I widen my eyes.

"What? When is his birthday?" Lizzy exclaims as startled as I am. How does she know when it's his birthday?

"At the end of November, I think. He told that once. But I think he's not going to celebrate it with us" Jane explains and I sigh in relief.

"Then, we don't have nothing to worry about unless he changes his mind" Lizzy states and we both nod. "So, who were you talking about?"

"My roommate Bailee celebrates her birthday this weekend and I don't have nothing for her. It's so freaking stressful!" I mumble in despair.

"You can't never be wrong with make up and clothes. She seems to be the type of girl who likes fashion and wears different clothes every day" Jane starts and Lizzy nods in agreement.

"Yeah, I know but I want something more personal, you know? She's been a really great friend and I want to give her something in return" I try to explain but fail miserably.

"Then, a necklace and a card would be a great gift. For example, my best friend gave me this necklace with our initials and I wear it everywhere I go" she shows it and I smile when I look at it. It's so pretty cute.

"Okay, I really like that idea. You got me. Problem resolved." I say calmer.

I look at Jane to see that she shifts in her seat uncomfortable seeing all the people who pass her from here to there making her uncomfortable. She hides her face with her hand to avoid the gazes of passersby but there comes a time when she explodes.