Chapter 3

A/n republish; nothing major, just deleting some parts

-

"I'm just kidding, Hyunjin." Seungmin stated. "But, you find him hot, don't you?" The younger added, raising his eyebrows several times and laughing a little afterward.

Hyunjin did not respond. But, his red ears and cheeks were such obvious evident that confirmed the younger's statement.

"I know he's friendly to anyone, BUT he definitely flirted with you just now." Seungmin said as he gave Hyunjin a knowing look. The older abruptly moved his attention back to the fur carpet, gently playing with it while his cheeks still painted with rosy color.

"But, I assume that you're a Mr. Popular too."

"Not really."

"Liar~"

Hyunjin just shrugged his shoulder at that.

"I'm pretty sure at least five girls had confessed to you."

Hyunjin shifted his eye balls to the left side, trying to recall some past events before nodding at the younger, receiving a smug smile.

He just met Seungmin nearly one hour ago, yet he could see that the younger was very observant and straightforward, unlike Hyunjin.

"Did you date one of them? Or maybe two? Or all of them?

"No, wasn't interested."

"Heh... what about boys then?"

Hyunjin shook his head. He did get some anonymous letters on his locker, though.

"Does that the reason why you became a blushing mess when you saw Chan hyung? Because you've never been approached by a guy? I mean, I know he was shirtless and his bod---"

The older could not take it anymore, so he covered the younger's mouth with his palm. The image of the college boy--shirtless and looking fine--stood in the doorway was back and he could not help but squeal his body at the thought.

He retreated his hand after a while and regretted it immediately since he could see the smugness on the younger's face.

"How do you feel when a girl confessed to you?"

Now that he thought about it again, his heart never skipped a beat even when the school's prettiest girl confessed to him. So, the older just shook his head.

"Well, that's cool then. I mean... you may just discover your sexual orientation."

Hyunjin just hummed at that. Questioning his own preference never crossed his mind after all. But, he knew for a fact that a person could fall in love with the same gender.

He once saw two girls kissing when he was eating and enjoying Shawarma sandwich in Paris. He did not mean to stare with his mouth slightly agape, but his mother caught him in the act.

He was twelve at that time and still could not comprehend what he just saw. However, his mother did not say anything about that.

"But, doesn't that weird?"

"What's weird?"

"A boy likes another boy?"

"Well some people think it is, some not."

"What... about you then?"

"Definitely not. My parents always teach me to be an open-minded person."

Hyunjin released a relieved sigh, feeling happy to hear such statement coming from the younger.

He did not know the exact reason why, but knew Seungmin would be someone that he could trust enough to share his worries and secrets later in the future.

>~<

Hyunjin and his mother were now sitting with Seungmin's family and having lunch together. Mrs. Kim asked Hyunjin earlier to bring along his mother and the latter immediately ran to his house.

Hyunjin, as usual, only listened to the conversation exchanged around them and only talked when he was asked.

"Oh, you're a swimmer?"

"Yes, ma'am. But I set my goal to be a professional trainer now." Chan said as he smiled sweetly at Hyunjin's mother.

She smiled back. "I hope you can reach your goal, young man. Actually, my baby used to swim too as a hobby back then."

Hyunjin felt his cheeks reddened, feeling embarrassed since his mother kept calling him with such nickname.

"Oh that's cool! Maybe we can have a little competition one day, Hyunjin." Chan announced, only to receive a shy nod from the younger.

>~<

"Thank you for inviting us. We should be the one that invites you, not the other way around." Hyunjin's mother stated apologetically.

"No worries. We're glad that someone even greets us here."

Hyunjin and his mother then left after saying another thank you and waving goodbye.

"I can see that Seungmin is polite and friendly boy. He'll be a good friend." His mother said as soon as Hyunjin closed the entrance door.

"How about Chan hyung?"

"He seems nice too. Just make sure you are home no more than 8 PM when you're hanging out with them. Got it?"

Hyunjin did not say anything but simply hugged his mother, feeling beyond happy.

She then hugged Hyunjin back tightly. "You're too precious to me, Jinnie. So, always be careful, please?"

Hyunjin pulled out from the hug and saw his mother's eyes were teary.

"Don't cry. I'm not going anywhere, Mom." Hyunjin reassured as he hugged her back.

Hyunjin might be a quiet kid who did not have any friends. But, that did not mean he never heard some bad rumor about him.

It was not surprising to find out his schoolmates only saw him as a rich spoiled kid that did not want to make friend with any of them because they thought Hyunjin was arrogant.

Truth be told, he just cared about his mother. She had gone through a lot; having miscarriage and losing another child were absolutely traumatizing.

He used to have an older brother, six years apart. Sadly, Hyunjin could not remember him that much since he was nearly four the time he lost him.

That day was a quite crowded yet peaceful afternoon in summer. The four of them were strolling around the food stalls near a shrine in Japan.

His parents were ordering some Obanyaki for them when his older brother suddenly unlatched his grip on his hand and ran toward the busy road. He was about to tell his parents but the loud crush sound and screams distracted him.

He could not comprehend why his older brother did not come home with them back then. They only told them that his brother has left them to be in a better place, as a hero.

That was why his mother was extremely protective over him and why Hyunjin was always obedient to any of his mother's request. Even though sometimes it annoyed him too. Regardless, he was glad that he chose to do so in the past sixteen years.

But now, he would be lying if he said he did not want to have Seungmin as his friend. The said boy was nice and Hyunjin could not wait to spend times and create high school memories with his new friend.