IV. The Price of Gold

Emma, Henry and I walked down the main street.

"You sure we can be out in the open?" Henry asked.

Emma pursed her lips. "Enough sneaking around. If your mom has a problem with me walking you two to a school bus, I am more than happy to have that chat."

I looked up at Emma. "You're really brave. We'll definitely need that for Operation Cobra. Speaking of -- Henry and I were talking last night and we were wondering, do you think we need code names?"

"Isn't 'cobra' our code name?"

"That's the mission. I mean us. We need something to call you."

"Oh. Um, well, why don't you two just call me Emma for now?"

"Okay," Henry agreed. "Well then, I'll see you later, Emma."

"Bye Emma." I waved.

Henry and I got on the bus and the bus drove off.

Third Person POV:

Graham's cop car pulled up next to Emma.

"What's with the siren?" Emma asked.

"It's so hard to get your attention," Graham replied.

"Well, you got it. Are you arresting me again?"

"I'm thanking you. For your help finding that coma patient. We all owe you a depth of gratitude."

"Well, what do I get? Accommodation? Key to the city?"

"How about a job? I could use a deputy."

"Thank you, but I have a job."

"As a bail bondsperson? There's not much of that going on here."

"I don't see a lot of sheriffing going on around here, either."

"Well, here's your chance to see it up close. There's dental? Why don't you think about it? And stay awhile."

Emma made her way to Granny's Diner and sat at a table near the entrance. Ruby served her a cocoa.

"Thank you," Emma said.

Regina entered the diner and sat with Emma. "How was your walk with Henry and Aubree? That's right -- I know everything. But relax. I don't mind."

"You don't?"

"No. Because you no longer worry me, Miss Swan. You see, I did a little digging into who you are. And what I found out was quite soothing. It all comes down to the number seven."

"Seven?"

"It's the number of addresses you've had in the last decade. Your longest in anywhere was two years. Really, what did you enjoy so much about Tallahassee?"

"If you were wondering, I did find a place here in town."

"I know. With Miss Blanchard. How long is your lease? Oh, wait. You don't have one. You see my point? In order for something to grow, Miss Swan, it needs roots. And you? Don't have any. People don't change. They only fool themselves into believing they can."

"You don't know me."

"No, I think I do. All I ask, is as you carry on your transient life, you think of Henry and Aubree and what's best for them. Perhaps consider a clean break. It's going to happen anyway. Enjoy your cocoa."

Regina got up and left the diner. Emma went to stand and spilled her cocoa all over her shirt. Ruby walked over and handed her a cloth.

"Oh!" Emma cried. "Really?"