XIII. What Happened to Fredrick?

Third Person POV:

David and Kathryn were eating dinner at home.

"Chicken's delicious," David said, attempting to make small talk.

"David, there's something we need to discuss," Kathryn told him.

"Okay."

"I applied to law school."

"That's amazing! Why didn't you ever tell me?"

"I don't know. Maybe 'cause I didn't think I could actually do it, but I did. I got this today -- I got in." She handed him a piece of paper.

He looked at the paper. "It... It's in Boston."

"I know things have been hard between us, but maybe a fresh start is what we need. Maybe we've been fighting too hard to recapture old memories, when we should've been making new ones instead."

Mary Margaret got out of her car and met David on the main street.

"What did you tell her?" Mary Margaret asked.

"That I needed to take a walk," David replied. "Clear my head. Think about it."

"I'm guessing you didn't tell her that the walk was with me."

David shook his head. "No. No, of course not."

Mary Margaret frowned. "Why is that our default? Lying?"

"Because I don't-"

"We're not being honest. I know it's hard, but we have to tell her the truth about everything -- about us."

"I don't know if I can."

"You have to. If we can't be honest with other people, how can we be honest with each other?"

"Is it really the best plan?"

"What's your plan? Moving to Boston?"

"No."

"The only way no one gets hurt here, is if we don't want to be together. Is that what you want?"

"No."

"Well, then we have to stop hiding and do something. It's better she hears it from you than from someone else. You have to make a choice."

"I choose you."

"Then, it's time to tell Kathryn."

August's motorcycle was parked outside Granny's Diner. Emma arrived at the same time he was leaving.

"I've been meaning to bump into you," August said. "Matter of fact, I was hoping we might grab that drink you promised."

"Is that you asking me out?" Emma asked.

"Well, if putting a label on it makes you more comfortable, sure. Let's call it a date."

"I thought you came here to write -- find inspiration."

"I'm optimistic about our date."

"See, I have a policy -- I won't go out with guys who won't tell me their names. I find it weeds out the ones who like to keep secrets, like they're already married or they store body parts in their freezer. It was nice talking to you." She walked past him to enter the diner.

"It's August. August W. Booth."

"Really? With the middle initial?"

"W's for Wayne. So, there goes your reason for not meeting me here after work."

Emma entered the diner alone to find Mary Margaret waiting.

"Who was that?" Mary Margaret asked.