XIX. The Return

Third Person POV:

August was sleeping in his bed at the inn and woke up to find his leg shaking uncontrollably. He attempted to grab his leg, but fell stiffly out of the bed.

He hobbled to the phone and dialed a number. "Hey, you there? Good. This is taking too long. We need to accelerate the plan."

Aubree's POV:

August, Henry and I were lurking across the street from Mr. Gold's Pawn Shop.

"It's almost nine," August said. "You two all set? You two know what to do?"

Henry and I nodded as he said, "Operation Cobra is always ready. We just..."

"You two just what?"

"We don't understand what this has to do with getting Emma to believe," I finished.

"Sometimes, other priorities assert themselves. Can you two handle a little improvisation?"

I grinned. "Call it my middle name. After trouble."

Henry nodded. "Yeah. Can you?"

"We're a go," August told us.

Henry and I ran across the street and entered the shop.

"Hey, Mr. Gold," Henry and I greeted.

"Good morning, Henry. Good morning, Aubree," Mr. Gold replied. "What can I do for you two?"

"We want to get a gift for Miss Blanchard," Henry said.

"Oh, I see."

"Since, she didn't kill that woman," I added.

"Good thinking."

Hopefully August had managed to sneak in.

"Are these bells?" Henry asked, pointing. "Cool. Bree. They're cool, right?"

I looked at the bells. "Yeah. They are cool."

"See anything you two fancy?" Mr. Gold asked.

We continued discussing bell purchasing with Mr. Gold.

Third Person POV:

August searched through Mr. Gold's office out back and was caught snooping.

"May I help you?" Mr. Gold questioned.

August nodded. "Yeah. I'm looking for some maps. I'm a bit of a collector."

"Yes. Well, there's maps through in the shop. This is my office."

"I thought this was the entrance."

"It's not. The shop's through there."

HOSPITAL

Kathryn was awake and was being assessed by Dr. Whale. Emma entered.

"Emma," Dr. Whale greeted. "Come on in. Look who's awake."

Emma smiled briefly. "Kathryn, hi. Listen, I don't want to take a lot of your time. But, do you remember what happened?"

"I don't know much," Kathryn replied. "Um, I was in a car accident, and... I remember the airbag going of. And the next thing I knew, I was in the dark, in some basement. I didn't see anyone, but there was food and water. And then, I guess I was drugged."

Dr. Whale nodded. "Yeah. We're still trying to flush that out of your system."

"And then, I woke up in a field at the edge of town, and I started walking. That was it."