VIII. Desperate Souls

Third Person POV:

Mr. Gold was covering a piece of cloth with the lanolin in the back room of his pawn shop.

Emma entered and called out, "Gold! In here?"

"Well, it is my shop," Mr. Gold answered.

Emma entered the back room. "Whoa! What is that?"

"Oh, this is lanolin -- used for waterproofing."

"It smells like livestock."

"Well, it is the reason why sheep's wool repels water."

"It stinks. Um, if there was a reason you called the Sheriff's Department... If you want to talk about that quickly-"

"Yes."

"Or outside..."

"I just wanted to, uh, express my condolences, really. The sheriff was a good man. You're still wearing the deputy's badge. Well, he's been gone two weeks, now, and I believe that after two weeks of acting as sheriff, the job becomes yours. You'll have to wear the real thing."

"Yeah, I guess. I'm just not in a hurry. So, um, thank you for the kind words."

Emma went to leave and exited the main part of the shop.

Mr. Gold followed. "I have his things."

"What?"

He walked over to a box on the counter. "The sheriff. He rented an apartment that I own. Another reason for my call, really. I wanted to offer you a keepsake."

"I don't need anything."

"As you wish. Well, give them to Mayor Mills. Seems like she was the closest thing he had to family."

"I'm not sure about that."

"No love lost there, I see. Look, I feel that all of this stuff is headed for the trash bin -- you really should take something. Look -- his jacket."

"No."

"Well, look. Your boy and girl might like these, don't you think? You could play together." He held up several walkie talkies.

"I don't-"

"No, please. They... They grow up so fast."

"Thanks."

"You enjoy these with your boy and girl. Your time together is precious, you know? That's the thing about children -- before you know it, you lose them."

Aubree's POV:

Emma met me and Henry at our castle, holding walkie talkies. She sat between us and handed us both one.

"Brought you two something," Emma said. "Thought we could use them together for Operation Cobra."

"Thanks," Henry and I answered.

"Oh, come on! What's up? You've both been ducking me for weeks."

I glanced at Henry and he said, "Bree and I think we should should stop Cobra stuff for awhile. You don't play with the curse. Look what happened to Graham."

"Henry, Aubree, I told you two they did an autopsy. It was totally natural causes."

"Okay, whatever," I muttered. "You don't believe -- good. That should keep you from messing with it. And getting killed."

Emma looked between me and Henry. "You two are worried about me."

I met her eyes. "She killed Graham because he was good -- and you're good."