XVIII. The Stable Boy

Third Person POV:

Regina was in her office, fiddling with a ring. She held it to her lips when Mr. Gold entered.

"Remembrance of things past?" Mr. Gold questioned.

"What do you want?" Regina asked.

"I need a favor."

"You need a favor from me?"

ONE WEEK AGO

"Well, as you know, there are battery charges against me... pending. I really don't relish the thought of spending any more time locked up in a cage. Now, someone with your influence can make the D.A. suddenly realize what a flimsy case they have. Isn't that right... Your Majesty?"

"What do I get out of it?"

"Help with your Mary Margaret problem. You see, I've noticed that no matter how hard you seem to try to stop them, she and her 'charming' friend just keep finding ways to be together."

"What are you suggesting?"

"If you want to inflict pain... Then you must inflict pain. If something tragic were to happen to David's wife, and if Mary Margaret should take the blame-"

"She'd be ruined."

"And you'd have your victory, at last."

"A trial could be very messy."

"A trial? Who said anything about a trial? Now, once Miss Blanchard has been incarcerated, you can plant one of your lovely skeleton keys in her cell. And, once she tries to leave Storybrooke, well... We all know what happens to people who attempt to leave town."

"Give me one good reason why I should trust you."

"Because I always honor my agreements. Do we have a deal?"

Emma left Granny's Diner when David called out to her. They talked as they walked to her car.

"Emma. Hey," David called.

"David, I don't have time," Emma said.

"No, I-I understand. It's Mary Margaret. How's she doing?"

"How do you think she's doing?"

"Well, I think the last time we spoke, she didn't quite get what I meant."

"Oh, you mean that you basically told her you thought she might be guilty?"

"Look, it's this situation. It's been confusing and horrible for everyone. But, Emma, I don't think she's guilty. I need her to know that. Can I see her?"

"She doesn't want visitors."

"You mean me. She doesn't want to see me."

"Honestly David. I'm sure your heart is in the right place, but the last thing she needs right now is words of encouragement from you."

"What does she need?"

"A miracle."

STATION

Mary Margaret was sleeping in her cell. When she woke, she saw Regina watching her.

"They say only the guilty sleep in prison," Regina said.

Mary Margaret frowned. "What are you doing here? Where's Emma?"

"She hasn't arrived yet. I just wanted to stop by to offer you a chance. A chance to spare yourself and this town the messiness of a trial. The chance to confess."