XV. Red-Handed

Third Person POV:

Emma and David were sitting in Emma's office at the station. She handed him a mug of tea.

"Thank you," David replied. "I hope Kathryn's somewhere warm, not out in the cold."

Emma looked at him. "David. I think you need to start worrying about yourself a little bit more here. Your wife is missing. You are in love with another woman. There's this... Unexplained phone call."

"I know, I know. I just... I can't explain why it says that. I didn't do anything to my wife."

"I'm pretty good at spotting a liar. And, honestly, liars have better material. Now, go home."

"I can go?"

"We don't even know if there was a crime yet. So, get some sleep."

"Thank you." He stood up to leave.

"And, David? Maybe... Get a lawyer."

GRANNY'S DINER

Ruby was flirting with August, who was sitting at one of the tables. "You can't be serious. A whole year without a roof over your head?"

"Well, you get used to it," August replied. "Plus, I had the motorcycle. So, if I didn't like a place after awhile..."

Granny called for Ruby, but the latter ignored her. "Ruby?"

"I've never been out of Storybrooke," Ruby admitted. "What was your favorite place?"

"Nepal," August answered. "Best people. They have these prayer temples carved into mountains that are overrun with lemurs."

"What's a lemur?"

"Ruby!" Granny yelled.

"Just give me a sec!"

"They're little animals. And they have these eyes that reflect light. So, at night, it looks like they glow," August explained.

"Ruby!" Granny called again. "Stop flirting and get over here!"

Ruby made her way to the counter. "I can't believe you did that. That was humiliating."

"I want you to start working Saturday nights."

"Come on -- we have an agreement about Saturday night."

"I want to start training you to do the books and the reorders. Business is booming lately, and, with more money, comes more paperwork."

"Yeah. None of that sounds good."

"It's got to be done."

"Is this a punishment for talking to that guy?"

"If I wanted to punish you, I'd have better reasons. For one thing, you were late. For another thing, Liza, you dress like a drag queen during Fleet Week."

"And you dress like Norman Bates when he dresses like Norman Bates' mother."

"Ruby, you're a grown woman. You can't keep acting like some kid."

"You just want me to act like you until I turn into you. Well, I am not a fossil yet, Granny. I should be out there having adventures with lemurs!"

"Well, as long as you work here, you are going to listen to me."

"I didn't ask to work here."

"Well, then what's keeping ya?"

"Nothing! I quit!" Ruby stormed out of the diner.

Mary Margaret ran to catch up with Emma on the street and they walked together.

"Is he okay?" Mary Margaret asked. "David?"