36 | dinner

Song of the chapter: meet me in the hallway - Harry Styles

☆☆☆

I was the last one to sit at the table, discovering that Calum sat on my usual spot next to Ana, apparently not wanting to sit neither next to Luke nor me. I sighed sadly and let myself fall into the chair next to the blond boy who was, just like me looking glumly at the plate in front of him.

The air was thick, and no one dared to say anything, not even Ana who usually couldn't stay quiet for more than thirty seconds in a row.

All I wanted was this stupid dinner to be over. I had no idea for how long I could sit there and act like my heart wasn't screaming. I was closely to another mental break down, probably only a few minutes away from my tears winning the fight against my willpower and beginning to cry once more that day.

"Okay can someone please tell me what was going on?", my mom broke the silence, "and don't tell me that nothing's wrong because I heard you fighting this morning and you two aren't sitting together so I suppose you are not on speaking terms either."

She first pointed at me and Calum and then at Cal and Luke.

Calum derisively laughed: "Of course they haven't told you either."

"You know what, I'm not even that hungry, I'm going upstairs."

"Please don't, let's talk things out", my mom tried to stop him with no success.

"There's no way I'm talking to those liars", he hissed before he vanished out of the room.

Luke cleared his throat and stood up, leaving the table too. "I'll try to go and talk to him."

I nodded, waiting for him to be gone before I looked into the questioning faces of my parents. They expected answers and they expected them from me, so I kept my shit together one last time and started explaining, keeping it short.

I stared at the pasta of my plate, knowing that I wouldn't manage to tell them while having to see their faces. "Luke and I are together, and Calum found out this morning."

My mom cleared her throat and I could hear her laying her silverware down on the table. "I'm not surprised to be honest; you guys have some crazy chemistry going on."

I sent an are-you-kidding-me glance into her direction. "Not helpful, mom"

"Don't you think it is a bit too early to be dating again?", my dad shared his opinion.

"This is not the point", I said sadly, "we didn't want to tell anyone because we thought that Cal would have a problem with me being with his best friend, but it turned out that he was more upset about us not telling him than the fact that I happen to like Luke."

"I knew about it", Ana raised her arm to get all the attention.

"Yeah, you did", I smiled softly at her. She probably didn't understand the drama that was going on.

"Trust me, Jade, Calum will get over it, he loves you both too much to stay mad at you forever", my mom's face was drawn to a friendly mom-smile.

In moments like these, I was just endlessly thankful for having such a great family. I still felt like crab, considering what had happened within the last two days but for a short moment, I believed that everything wasn't as bad as I thought and that there might me a happy end after all.

My mom had always been the person to find the right words to ease all the pain, whenever I talked to her what didn't happen that often. This made me think that I might should start to change that and spend more time with her.