THREE

Foster The People: Pumped up Kicks

Essie

I told Tony how frustrated and powerless I'd been feeling ever since they let me know the Congo project was off. He was the only one that could understand the full extent of my emotions because he was feeling them too. Since the run didn't work, he suggested I tried yoga, but that wasn't really my cup of tea. Of course, I assured him I'd give it a go, but texted Ramona to get us a table at the pub for tonight. If alcohol doesn't help, then I'll try yoga.

"Women! It feels like I haven't seen you in ages, but it's been, what... two weeks?", our hearts collapsed together in a strong group hug, one of those bone-crushing and soul-filling ones.

"I'll raise a glass to spending more time in your company, always.", Becks – the calm one – lifted her posh glass filled with white wine high above our heads. We'd been friends forever, literally. Both Rebecca and Ramona lived up the street from my childhood home, the one I was born into and spent almost 10 years in. Our playdates turned into sleepovers and we slowly moulded into a pack – a funny and playful one from the outside, but one fiercely protective of our bond on the inside. When I moved to Vermont with my mom, after my parents' divorce, I was more upset by leaving the girls than I was dad. It took us a while to find our footing after I moved back, but we were always there for each other.

"Let's get this show on the road!", Ramona came back to the table with a tray of shots, "We've all got sorrows to drown... well maybe Becks doesn't, because her life's perfect, but we'll let her tag along, right?". We loved taking the piss out of Becks for her 'perfect' life. Truth is, we were a perfectly balanced palette. Ramona was completely wild, a twenty-five-year-old with seemingly no direction or real aspirations in life. I was the middle ground, I knew when to play and when to work, I had a wild side, but it was easily tameable when it needed to be. Becks was our angel; she and Pierce were engaged since forever and she worked in a local primary school as a teacher. Basically, had it together 100% of the time.

"Before we get disgustingly drunk, I need to hear about that new guy Ramona's dating.", my friend's face suddenly changed when I mentioned her new fling, she took a shot and smiled deviously, "Didn't work out. He was a good shag, though.".

"You are the worst! What happened?", Becks posed the follow-up question.

"Well not everybody's as lucky as you, Rebecca. He wasn't my Pierce. Good riddance, I say!", there was no stopping Ramona tonight, so I decided to flip the switch and swerve into my wild side, joining her in getting pissed.

"Shall I go for more drinks, G&T?", they both nodded, and I started pushing my way through the crowded pub. I wished I'd brought a camera, there were a million photo opportunities here... a lovers' embrace in a hidden corner, a birthday celebration, a post-promotion gathering and a 10th anniversary all here, in these few square feet.

"Hi mate! Gin and tonic, times three, please.", Guy, the friendliest bartender known to humankind started on our drinks straight away and I glanced over the room, taking pictures with my eyes.

Harry

"There's a fit blonde at your six o'clock. Soft curls, nice behind.", Nick pointed his glass at the space behind me and I did my best to turn around discretely. It was her.

"Bingo. I didn't think we'd get lucky on our second night, honestly.", Essie smiled sweetly at the guy behind the bar and handed him her credit card. My eyes followed her back to a table in the middle of the pub, two more girls with her. I couldn't stop the corners of my lips from turning up at the sight of the three women, laughing and raising their glasses.