THIRTY-EIGHT

Philip Bailey & Phil Collins : Easy Lover

Essie

Touring was wilder than I'd imagined, the hours were crazy, managing to shuffle out of aeroplanes, vans and busses half asleep was becoming my hidden talent. I was near Harry, but I wasn't really near him... I'd say that I saw less of him now than when we were both travelling and on different ends of Europe.

"Ess, someone called for you on my phone... here", Jeff handed me his mobile and I instantly had a bad feeling. This was highly unusual, especially since I was fairly available on my own number.

"Hello?", I heard some sort of beeping on the other end of the line.

"Is this Estee Robinson I'm speaking to?", a firm female voice spoke.

"Yes, I'm her. How can I help you?"

"I'm calling from the Royal Brompton National Heart and Lung Hospital,", my mind immediately went to a dark place, "We have a patient here by the name of Mark Robinson, your father. You were the contact listed on his records, but the line kept cutting out when I tried calling your number.".

"Is he okay?", was the only thing I managed to get out.

"Your father had a heart attack yesterday. He went into surgery immediately upon arriving here and the cardiothoracic surgeon was able to repair most of the damage. He will have to get another surgery to get stents put in, but he is out of danger.", I was thankful the nurse spoke in layman's terms, because I wouldn't be able to comprehend what she was saying otherwise.

"Oh my God! Thank you so much for calling me. I am currently in the US on business, but I will do everything I can to get to London by tomorrow morning.", Mary, the nurse, informed me they would continue to take excellent care of my father until I arrive and that she would call me with any updates.

I walked back into the hotel room where Harry and Jeff were setting a schedule for talk shows and other interviews.

"Essie, what's wrong?", Harry got up as soon as he saw my expression.

"It's my dad. He had a heart attack.", he pulled me in for a hug, "I have to go to London Harry, I'm sorry.".

"Of course you do. Don't worry about anything, we've got the work part covered. Jeff can help get you a flight back home.", I remained quiet in his arms while Jeff called the airline they usually worked with to see if there were any seats available on the next flight out. I couldn't even remember which state we were in.

"Good news. You have a flight from O'Hare in three hours. That should get you to London right in time to go to the hospital in the morning.", I nodded, mentally preparing myself for the journey home.

"I should call Rosa, she probably has no idea what happened.", I pulled my mobile out and Harry nodded, "Could you call Becks and ask her to go to the hospital and be with my dad? She could also call her father, he's a doctor.".

"Done. Sarah will pack your suitcase. The small one or the bigger one?"

"I don't know how long I'll be staying, so I think it's smarter to take the bigger one.", everyone scurried to get my things together while I called my Gran. She had no idea what had happened, since her number wasn't listed as the emergency contact. I assured her I'd get there soon enough and call her if anything happened in the meantime. Gran wanted to fly to London herself, but there wasn't anything for her to do there, so she made me promise I'd tell her if she needed to make the trip.

"Everything has been taken care of, come here.", Harry noticed me pacing around the massive hotel room and extended his hand for me to hold.

"It's just that he's had a stressful job my entire life, and I was always worried something like this might happen, but he kept assuring me he was in good shape and all his medicals kept coming back perfect.", I kept remembering the times I spent hours trying to persuade my dad to work less and spend more time taking care of himself, but it never worked.