TEN

Pereza: Lady Madrid

Essie

Two in the morning. It was unusually hot for the beginning of May and I felt like something had sucked all the air out of my room. I'd already had a little wander around the kitchen, sat out on the terrace and peed twice. Sleep wasn't ready to take over me yet. As I grabbed my phone and pulled up the countless texts the gang had sent me in our group chat, Harry called.

"Hello?", he released a breath that made him sound almost relieved to hear my voice, "Can't sleep?".

"It's bloody boiling here in Madrid, and it's not even proper summer yet. Why the hell are you up?"

"I've been to the studio today. We didn't write anything, but we caught up and set the tone for the next couple of weeks.", Harry explained.

"That's nice. Is that why you're awake?"

"No, I was about to go to bed, and then I saw you were online, so I thought I'd give you a ring and see what's up..."

"Nothing much. Gran Rosa is the same as usual, silly, and loving. Madrid is wonderful, have you ever been?", I mentally slapped myself... of course he'd been. Having toured the world multiple times, there wasn't a place on this earth he hadn't walked.

"Yeah, it's a great city. Although, I must admit I haven't seen much of it, besides the inside of hotels and the WiZink Centre. You'll have to take me on a tour around town once.", that made me smile, because I loved showing people my favourite parts of this magnificent city.

"I'd like that.", silence monopolised the phone call suddenly.

"How are you?", he didn't want to hear that I was good, he wanted to know how I really felt.

"Better now that I'm here. I'm sorry for leaving without explaining, I needed a few days.", he chuckled.

"That's what Becks said. I'm glad you're content there. Go to sleep now, it's late.", instantly, I felt at peace and sleep ran over me like a truck.

Waking up in Madrid was unlike waking up at home. I'd travelled around the world, because of my job, and I'd seen my fair share of sunrises and sunsets in some incredible places. But, man, Madrid was something else. The city was still fully asleep when my eyes opened. I felt like I'd slept for twenty hours, and not a mere six. I could hear Gran was already awake, but I took a moment to stretch and breathe with the windows opened wide. Once I go downstairs, the peace and quiet will be long gone.

"Morning!", she shoved a cup of coffee in my hands and ushered me to the table. Breakfasts never tasted as good when you prepared them yourself. There was jamón and orange juice, fresh tomatoes, everything to put together the tastiest tostada ever.

"Did you sleep well?", Rosa waited for me to finish my first one before she started asking questions.

"I had a little trouble falling asleep, must be the new bed, but I've not slept better in a long time.", she smiled, "I heard you wandering around well after midnight. Did you talk to yourself or was I dreaming?".

"Harry called, wanted to hear how I was doing. I fell asleep shortly after that.", a knowing smile appeared on her face. What was it that she had so clear, yet I wasn't getting?

"What's the plan for today?", she listed a full day's worth of activities... seeing cousins, going to the shops, grabbing lunch on the go, having coffee in Malasaña, and many more of my favourite things. How could I have gone an entire year without visiting?

Spain seems easy-going, but once you step out onto the streets it's all a big rush until you reach your first destination. They are relaxed and slow when they're eating or drinking, during quality time with loved ones, but the rest of their time is spent rushing from one place to the next one. I had the privilege to take in every moment and enjoy the minutes in the spring sun. We visited all my favourite places, did the shopping for dinner, and prepared most of it. All our extended family was excited to see me and from the moment the first cousin or aunt entered the door – there was chaos. Around the time we finished with the picoteo, my phone rang and saved me from the second round of personal questions by Aunt Mari.