NINETEEN

Domenico Modugno: Volare

Essie

"Hi Helene, this is Essie. Harry told me to give you a ring about work. If you'd call back when you have the time, I'd really appreciate it. Bye!", I left Helene a voicemail and crossed the street to the restaurant where I was meeting Ramona for lunch.

"Hello, reservations under Chapman.", the hostess saw me to the table where Ramona was already waiting.

"You're here early Chapman! Who would've thunk it?", my trench coat landed on the chair next to mine and Ramona just laughed, "Well, Robinson, I guess I can still surprise you sometimes.".

"What's new?", the waiter took our orders and brought over two glasses of white wine, as per Ramona's request.

"Nothing much. I've got some assessments coming up in a few weeks, Daddy has a new girlfriend and Christopher finally rebelled and got that tattoo he's been talking about for years.", the news of her father having a new girl-child in his life wasn't exactly news, every season he'd strut out a new model. On the other hand, her brother Christopher who is a proper rule follower and Daddy pleaser, getting a tattoo was news.

"Honestly, Ramona, when will you graduate? Aren't you bored of assessments and papers?", I may have come on too strong, pushing Ramona never got you anywhere, but the deed was done.

"If it annoys my father, I'm doing it. And there is nothing he's bothered by more, not even Chris getting a tattoo, than me not getting my degree yet. Let's talk about you for a bit... any new projects on the horizon?", she sipped her wine carelessly.

"You're irreparable.", Ramona chuckled loudly, "I've got the Milan fashion week coming up. I'm shooting Gucci this year, per their request. I've also got an important career decision to make.", this captured her interest all right.

"Do tell!"

"Harry asked if I'd be willing to join his creative team and go on tour with them next year.", I waited for her to say something, but she remained quiet, her eyes trained on me.

"I'd like to say yes, it's quite an opportunity, obviously. But, at the same time, I feel like if I say yes, I'll be demoting myself. I won't have time for the important work I love doing, like the adoption campaign in the Congo, for instance. There's also the question of Bono and who'll take care of him while I'm travelling the world with Mr Rockstar. I don't know, Ramona."

"I've got a couple of things to say. Firstly, I totally understand the demotion part, you've managed to build an unusual career for a photographer. You do shoots and fashion weeks, but you also do work that helps change the world and bring light to issues that often remain in the shadows. To that extent, I see how taking this job would make you feel a little less useful. On the other hand, this is a chance to see if you're cut out for high intensity and no sleep work. It isn't revolutionary, but I think it could be really good for you.", she finished her monologue and took a sip of her wine.

"Is that all you're intending to say?", because I knew Ramona so well, I could tell she wasn't quite done sharing her opinion. This time, I was grateful for her meddling nature.

"No. There's also the underlying tension and chance of love with Harry.", my mate allowed me to inhale sharply before she continued, "I know you won't admit it to me... hell, I don't know if you'll even admit it to yourself, but it's there. I haven't seen you with many men. Ed can't be the representative sample and Matt was a mistake, but Harry could be something. You clearly have feelings for each other, it's very evident Ess. I hate to see you push it away out of some inexplicable fear of breaking, yourself of him.".