❃ Chapter one - Prologue

┴┈┈┈┈■┈┈┈┈┴
Jerome
┬┈┈┈┈□┈┈┈┈┬

"Cold… oh, God, it's so cold…"

The words came out of my mouth in a pained moan, the shudder running down my spine at the sound of the fake weakness in my voice.

"Stop talking shit, July isn't cold," Piper growled, hard stare pointed on me like a fiery arrow. "And it's about Goddamn time you get going."

I rolled my eyes, throwing the duffel bag over my shoulder. "Still, not fair, sis. I got nowhere else to go."

Okay, maybe that wasn't true. But she didn't need to know that now.

She tilted her head on the side, throwing me a are-you-serious look. "You're filthy rich, I'm sure you'll find a place to rent, if not buy."

With a groan, I leaned my head back, only to stare up at the baby blue sky, with a few faded white puffs of clouds.

"Look, I love you and I like having you around," she began softly. "The fact that you helped me with cooking and Vin for the past four months had been a big bene, but this is my journey. And I need my fucking privacy with Reeve."

A swift growl peeled back my upper lip, my head returning to its previous position. Her stare was stark, strong, steady. Completely unwavering.

"I don't want that."

"But we need that," she said softly. "I need my husband and he needs me. Mostly since Vin started actually sleeping without one of us holding him. The fact that you're sleeping next door and banging on our door every time we're about to get down to it isn't good for us. And how we argue almost every time we're in the same room makes my head pound. I already have one child, I don't need two."

I huffed, my brows lowering. "I'm not a child."

"You're acting like one." She stated with a purse of her lips. "And don't get me wrong, you'll be the first I call when I need a babysitter, but we can't live together anymore."

"I don't want to leave."

"But you have to."

"I don't. What if I sleep on the porch until you let me in?"

She sighed heavily, staring at me as I sulked. Stepping outside, she crossed her arms over her chest, her eyes tired as they took in my figure. "Logan told me you've been skipping jobs these past few months."

My eyes narrowed on her. "And?"

"I've been trying to get him to drag you back in, but I realized is not his or my job. You need to go back out there." She said coolly, raising her palm to stop me from saying more. "No, it's not because Logan needs you. It's not just because I want you gone. It's because you cut off contact with your world. You barely go out and do your job and when you leave, it's for buying me groceries. Did you think I wouldn't notice?"

Brows inching low, lips pursing, all I could do was shrug and look away. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Jerome, you want this kind of life. I can see it in your eyes every time you look at Vin. You want your own woman and your own child. But the thing is, we're not that! This is my family, not yours. You need to go out there and own it, for fuck's sake! Cause you won't find what you want while laying on your back in my fucking home!" She exclaimed, snapping my gaze back to her. "Don't you dare argue with me, because you know it's true! Stop lying to yourself by saying that you want to help. I'm perfect! I have Reeve, I don't need any help!"

All I could do was stare at her. My little sister. Big, green eyes matching my own. Chocolate brown hair falling in waves past her shoulders. God, how her hair grew this past year. Pink lips pressed in a hard line. Short, but tougher and smarter than anybody I had ever known. The first woman I had ever learned to respect. My little sister. All because she never fell at the feet of others, always handling herself, impatient and impulsive and… tough.

And yet… she was still my little sister. The one… I was supposed to protect.

Even more since she shared that terrible piece of her past.

"Don't look at me like that, Jer," she groaned, shaking her head. "I'm not a defenseless little girl. I'm a married mother with a Harvard degree and extra training in killing, so don't look at me like I'm a kid. I'm not. Not anymore. I haven't been for quite a while."

"You'll always be for me," I whispered.

"I know." Her eyes grew softer as she looked up at me. "But you have to face the reality. Right now I'm good. And when I need help, I'll ask for it."

Rubbing the spot right above my heart, I stared at her. When did she become this strong woman? I wondered to myself, unable to find a conscious answer.

Taking her arms from around her waist, she spread them wide, giving me a gentle smile. "You know this isn't a goodbye."

I sighed, stepping into her and giving in to the tentation. I hugged her tightly, holding onto the small frame of a strong woman I loved.

Why did it feel like a goodbye, then? I thought.

"I better be the first call when you need a babysitter."

She giggled openly, her body shaking in my arms from the vibration. "Cross my heart and hope to die."

The exhale running out of my lungs felt painful, not releasing in any way. I didn't want to leave, but she was right. Dammit, she was more than fucking right. I needed to go back out there. I needed my fucking job back. I had so derailed… I needed to get back on track.

All these months I've been twitchy, and I sure as hell knew why now.

I missed the violence, the rush of the danger, the adrenaline, the cold excitement for a deadly assignment. And I've been pulling out of it ever since PB got pregnant. I needed to get back to my life…

And I needed to kill some fuckers. Haven't done that in a while.