chapter five

⚯͛

⚯͛

The real question

'Maybe I'm out of my mind.'

~Joyce Byers

⚯͛

1st November 1994

The morning after the champion selection was chosen, Raven got up early. The sun had only just begun to show, sparkling like diamonds off the Black Lake where the boat swayed calmingly. Raven hadn't slept the night prior, not the impending doom she was awaiting now she knew she was a champion, had been prying on her mind, but the swaying of the Durmstrang boat as it rocked on the Lake, Raven figured that she wouldn't be getting much sleep in the year to come.

The Scottish air was cold, a nipping breeze brushing through the air, causing Raven to tighten her fur cloak further around her, as she continued to track up the steep hill towards the Hogwarts Castle. Although the air inside the castle was far warmer than the icy morning breeze outside of its walls, Raven kept her cloak wrapped tight around her body as she silently walked through the castle halls.

Located on the first floor was the Libary, stacked with hundreds of thousands of ancient books, Raven let out a sigh of relief as she saw the door was wide open. Inside the silence was deafening, the old Librarian Madam Irma Prince nodded acknowledgingly at the small girl Raven gave her a small smile back.

Raven walked over to the first isle she came across, the words of Bratamus Crouch running through her mind, "The first task is designed to test your daring." Raven's first thought was to begin to scan each of the many books for defense spells she could use to protect herself, but then, how can you learn how to protect yourself if you don't know what it is you're facing?

In the end, Raven sat herself down on one of many of the tables scattered around the giant library, opening her battered school bag and pulling out of her many pieces of work, "Ancient Runes," Raven muttered to herself, picking up her textbook.

Her quill scratched against the parchment, writing in answers that Raven had accepted were most likely wrong, as Raven wrote in the answer 'defence' by 'ehwaz' as she heard someone make a discomfort groan from behind her. The girl was loaded with books, with brown bushy hair, "That's actually wrong," The girl mumbled, putting down ger books on the table beside her, "You're mixing it up with 'eihwaz', 'ehwaz' actually means partnership."

Raven looked at the girl gratefully, "Oh, thanks." She said, using her quill to scribble out the previous answer and writing 'partnership' in its place.

"You're Raven Howendale, right?" The girl asked, pointing out another one of Raven's incorrect answers, "The girl who has put into the tournament?"