chapter twenty-nine

Mourning the Dead

Mourning the Dead

"Death dances silently on everyone's shadows, and she doesn't give a damn. So why give a damn about her?" -Klaus Mikaelson

⚯͛

25th June 1995

Raven had grown silent, she had only woken up mere hours before, but after learning Cedric's funeral was to be held later that day she had left the hospital wing in a hurry and hadn't been seen since.

She sat in one of the dark corners of the Hogwarts kitchens, after remembering all of the stories Malia had told her about it, with her head pressed back against the wall and a half-empty bottle of fire whisky in her pale hands.

Her mind was buzzing with thoughts from the night; most of it had been numb, she only remembers the lifeless face of Cedric as he laid on the ground before her.

She heard a light chatter, and tiredly lifted her head, "Thank you, Dobby." A voice muttered, and Raven looked back down as she heard light footsteps heading towards the corner she was hiding in.

"Aren't you coming to the funeral?" Hermione asked warily, her eyes scanning the small bundle of a girl.

Raven looked up, her tired eyes scanning across the three faces of the golden trio, she shook her head, "Haven't thought about it." She admitted, taking another swig off the bitter-tasting liquid.

"I think you should go; it will give you some peace." Hermione reasoned, her bushy hair was thrown back into a careless pony tail, lose strands framing her petite face.

Raven let out a humorous laugh, "Death dances silently on everyone's shadows, and she doesn't give a damn. So why give a damn about her?" She took another swig out of the bottle, missing the worried glances Harry, Ron, and Hermione threw at each other, "If death wants me she can fucking have me."

She then sighed, looking up at the three, "What time is it?"

Hermione cleared her throat, looking down at her watch, "It's two-thirty." She said Raven, groaned holding her arms up so they could drag her up.

"Let's get this shit show over with then."

⚯͛

The hall that was filled with cheers and laughs only days before, was now dark and gloomy. The sun no longer waved through the windows, instead the dark, thick clouds shone down suffocating the students.

The enchanted ceiling was gone, now they were only the dark support beams holding up dreary banners in memory of the Hufflepuff boy. The house tables had long gone, instead, they were over a hundred rows of dark wooden chairs, most of which were filled by students.

Each of them watched with weary eyes as the golden trio, followed by Triwizard Champion Raven Howendale entered the hall, quickly finding some empty seats and residing in them. She sat at the end of one of the many rows, not bearing to be trapped between the judgemental glances of the many students. Raven kept her eyes downcast, slow tears rushing down her face as her hands played with the fraying hem of her cloak.