chapter fourteen

Origins of a Family

Origins of a Family

"Forever on Santa's naughty list."
-Elijah Mikaelson

⚯͛

25th December 1994

The snow landed thickly on the bank outside of the Durstrang ship, which no longer swayed due to the frozen lake - which caused a chilly breeze to blow through the boat. Raven groaned, pushing back her thick duvet and quickly pulling on her fur coat, pulling the sleeves over her blue hands, to keep her warm.

At the end of each of the girl's beds that shared that dorm, they were a pile of presents - varying in size for each person. Raven sighed, picking up her pillow and throwing it at Neveah, causing her to sit up with a start, "за какво, по дяволите, беше това?" ("What the hell was that for?") She hissed, sitting up on her bed before letting out a shriek of excitement, "ооо, Коледа е!" ("Ooh, it's Christmas!") She shrieked, as her eyes landed on the pile of presents that sat at the end of her bed, "о, събуди се много, това е Коледа! " ("Oi, wake up you lot, it's Christmas!") She cheered.

The other girls all groaned, either rolling over and pressing their pillows over their heads, or slowly sitting up and shivering vigorously. Raven chuckled, sitting at the end of her bed with her coat still covering her hands, before picking up one of her presents and tearing the wrappings carefully.

Just as she was analysing some strange British sweets she had received off Malia, Neveah let out a gasp, "Elliot got me a present!" She said happily, tearing the wrappings.

"I thought you didn't care about him anymore?" Raven asked, snorting as she watched her stare at a book the boy had gotten her.

"I don't," She said, looking disappointed as she put the book down, "Well not if he thinks I like to read anyway."

Raven picked up the last present on the pile, frowning as she read the note that was balanced on top;

One day we shall be reunited; until then, I must wait for your forgiveness.
-SB

She didn't recognize the writing on the letter, and therefore - with much confusion - began to tear the wrappers around the package. Eyebrows furrowing, Raven ran her tongue across her lips, glancing at the beautifully crafted wood.

The wrapping paper fell to the floor in a crumpled up pile, but Raven paid no mind to that, her fingers traced against the patterns carved into the beautiful wood carefully. Her eyes scanning the old cursive writing held inside the frame, written on old, stained paper.

Howendale Family

Origin from the greek family, κοιλάδα (meaning Dale.) The Howendale name was crafted from two powerful families, one Greek the other Latin, ululate (meaning howl), the Howendale name was created in 360 A.C.