chapter nineteen

Saving a Friend

Saving a Friend

'Becoming fearless isn't the point.'

-Tris Prior

⚯͛

24th February 1995

The water was beyond freezing, it splashed up against each of the champion's legs - causing them to shudder in retaliation. Raven found herself taking nervous deep breaths as she gripped the pendant tightly in her hand, rushing into the water.

Each of the other champions had already descended into the murky water, Raven being the only one still above the surface. With the icy water lapping at her waist, she slowly felt herself lying on her back. The water icy against her scalp, splashing up over her face.

With her hand still gripping the pendant, she submerged it below the water. Her eyes shut, blocking out the murky sky, while her body shivered violently, "sequitur quod dico. Ostende mihi, quae videtis."

The pendant began to wiggle around in her grasp. Opening her fist she felt the cold water invade the palm of her hand as the pendant began to escape and shoot through the water. Her body trembled as she inhaled a deep breath, her mind blackening before the murky grey of the Black Lake invaded her vision. She could still hear the confused murmurs of the crowd as she studied the strange, foggy landscape. Her lips trembled as she repeated the spell.

She flicked her hand forward and let out a breath of relief as her vision began to swim through the tangled weeds, further into the lake. Although her body continued to shake violently, she let out a thankful chuckle as she saw a school of small fish dart past. Gaining a small dose of confidence she flicked her hand forward once more and saw the scenery begin to change around her.

Her vision was limited, not only because of the eerily grey, foggy lake water, but her vision blurred where the pendant began to turn, leaving her only a small amount of space to guide her way through the lake. Her searching became hopeless, she had no idea what she was looking for, and with the limited sightings, the pendant provided her chances wasn't very high.

It was only after what seemed like hours of twisting and turning around murky-looking vines and plants. Did she stumble across the sight of a strange-looking house, that drew Raven's mind to guide the pendant in that direction. As she sharply flicked her hand left she came across what seemed to be a small, underwater village. In the middle of what Raven could only label as their village square, they were a choir of merpeople. Although she couldn't hear, Raven figured the group were singing - and as she saw Cedric she realised they were calling the champions towards them, (Raven found this a bit unfair considering pendants couldn't hear - then again, they shouldn't be able to see either.)

Cedric's eyes glanced towards the pendant, and he looked at it in confusion as it whizzed towards the four champions; Raven first saw Hermione - she was Viktors date to the Yule Ball so they were no doubt she was his to retrieve, then they were an Asian girl, her beautiful black locks floating above her head in the water - Cedric gravitated towards her. Next was a girl too young to go to any of the schools - her golden hair showed she was there for Fleur. At the end of the line, the dirty blonde hair of Neveah Krum was waiting patiently. Her face looked a deathly pale and Raeven felt sick to her stomach as she waved her hand in the direction of the girl.