chapter fifteen

Underwater Challenges

'You can't ground someone who's not actually on the ground.'
-P.J. Duncan

⚯͛

21st January 1995

Many people say that each friend has their own contribution to a friend group; and if they want to change who they are, that they have to leave the group and start afresh - this wasn't the case with Raven and Neveah. Perhaps it was because in the past few months their friend group had grown, or maybe it was due to the traumatic events that had occurred in the previous year; but for some strange reason, Neveah and Raven had chosen to swap roles.

On mornings Raven was woken up by her usual lazy friend, who would force her to drink her potion before she had even gotten out of bed, and then make her get ready quickly. She would then drag the girl out of the still frozen to the lake ship, to be blown away by the Scottish winter breeze as they hiked up the bank to the Hogwarts castle, whilst Neveah would natter to her friend the whole time, "You need to figure out the egg!" She whined, dragging her friend into the entrance hall, the warm air heating up their blue hands, "It could take months to solve, you don't have time to dillydally."

Raven snorted, "Dillydally?" Neveah huffed, storming ahead of the girl, Raven groaned limping quickly to catch her up, "You know what we did have time to do?" She asked after seeing the quite great hall, "Sleep in."

Neveah rolled her eyes - dragging her friend towards the Hufflepuff table where she sat down opposite Nathan. Raven smirked knowingly, falling into her seat opposite Malia, "Is it just me, or are we up really early?"

Malia nodded, warily eyeing the two next the them, "We are up early. Very early."

Neveah scoffed, looking at her friend, "It's not that early," She said, motioning to the groups of people that we're now entering the hall, "Besides, I think the mail will be here soon."

"Why do I care about the mail?" Raven huffed, pouring herself a mug of coffee, "Not like I ever get anything, the only family I have is Uncle Lee; and he's to busy with work this time of year." Neveah rolled her eyes, looking at her friend, "You truly are naive if you don't think McGonagall will write to him about you being drunk on Christmas Day, and now that the Christmas rush is over, I think he'll have enough time to reply."

Raven groaned, muttering something unappropriated under her breath, "I forgot about the detention she gave us for that; cleaning a bathroom, it's supposed to be on Tuesday."

Malia groaned dramatically, resting her head on the table, "What could the prefects possibly do to make the bathroom so messy anyway." Even Neveah couldn't hold in her laugh at Malia's suggestive comment, as she nudged Nathan (a Prefect) in the side as she said it.