Chapter 1 - Welcome Death

Carol's POV:

I laid down in the snow and shivered. There were many worse ways to die. Freezing to death seemed the best option. It would lull me to sleep then kill me. I sighed and thought back over my life. I was born sixteen years ago in a small farming village just outside of Paris. My family was extremely tight knit and I lived a happy life. My father was a merchant and my mother a former singer. She hadn't grown to much fame but was pretty good at it. I had two sisters and one brother. My older sister was Christabel. She was a great beauty and even had a suitor. Her big brown eyes and long brown hair coupled with a fine figure gave men the impression she was a goddess. Then after me there was Estrella. She was perfect with her green eyes and brown hair. She was perfect. Her name meant star and she was one. The men should wait until their sons could court her. She had prospects. But between those two beauties was me. Just plain old me. I had my father's red hair and green eyes. My face was plain without much to recommend itself to the opposite gender. My figure wasn't anything to speak of and I was stocky build. There was nothing about me that was worth looking at. My green eyes glowed when I was angry and my red hair never obeyed me. Even though I was almost of age no suitors were lining up at the door. I was going to be a spinster.

It had been six weeks ago with my life was ruined. I ran my hand over my face and whimpered. Our house had burned down and taken the lives of my mother, father, and siblings. I had lived but was scared for life. What beauty I had was gone. I hadn't been that ugly. But now I was. Those scars would never leave. They weren't too bad but they did bring torment to me. I shuddered as my body tried to stay warm. Did it understand that I didn't want to live?

I recalled the day I had moved to Paris. I had needed a job after I had recovered from the fire. I had become a singer at a tavern. There I was made to do things that I hated. The men were rude and more than once I had just escaped being hurt badly. That was part of the reason I was laying in the snow now. A man had tried to rape me. I had escaped but just barely. As I was running away I realized I really didn't have anything to live for. My life wouldn't ever be good again. I wouldn't ever be happy again. I pushed back a auburn lock of hair and snuggled deeper into the snow. I was sensing sleep coming on and I knew that I would soon be dead. They would find my body when the snow melted. They would bury me with my parents if they even recognized the body. It didn't matter. I closed my eyes and saw my father's face in my mind. I love you, Daddy. I always will. I will see you soon. I settled back and waited for death. I left my eyes open and stared up at the dark sky. Just as I was about to fall unconscious I saw a figure dressed in a dark cape and hood stop above me. I frowned as I saw two golden eyes staring at me through the darkness that served for the face of the strange person. Just as he started to bend down, I fell unconscious.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Dear Readers,

Sorry about the length. I had to get it started. I don't know where this is going so... have any ideas?

sarahlet2999