Chapter 24 - Meeting a Friend

Carol's POV:

It had been about three days since Fraser's death and Erik had made up his mind. He wanted me to meet an old friend of his. He had mentioned him in his life story. This old friend was Daroga. I was nervous and a little scared. I actually started laughing because I was afraid of a Persian Daroga and not afraid of the Phantom of the Opera. It was strange what my mind thought was dangerous. I straighten my dress and Erik and I left the Opera House together.

Daroga's POV:

I settled back in my chair and looked at an old newspaper clipping. It said,

Opera House: Haunted By A Madman

It was true. I knew who haunted it. I hadn't thought much about Erik recently and I wondered if he was still alive. But I knew he wasn't he had been broken when he left me that night. I knew he wouldn't survive that broken heart. He couldn't. I had, for the first and only time in our relationship, heard Erik weep. If he was broken enough to cry I knew he wasn't going to live. I laid down the clipping and sighed. I thought back over our whole relationship. It had been a strange one. It couldn't have been anything else. Erik was a strange man. We had drifted apart after we had come to Paris. I couldn't see him that often because I lived in a proper house and he under the Opera Populaire. I had more than once wished we hadn't moved to Paris. He never would have met Christine and he might be alive to this day. I drummed my fingers against the hard wood desk and heard my servant knocking on the door. It was late and I wondered who might be dropping by.

“Come in.” My servant entered and said,

“A person and a girl are here to see you, Master. The man didn't give his name but the girl's name is Carol.” I knew there was only one man who would dare to demand entrance into my home without giving a name. Erik. But who was the girl? I smiled at my servant and said,

“How old does the girl look?” He thought for a moment then said,

“About eighteen. She is slightly burned. I can see the scars on her face. She is shy but carries her head high and proud.” I sighed. The girl was old enough to be Erik's new love. I wondered though if she was. It might be someone else and their girl but deep down I knew it was Erik.

“Send them in.” My servant nodded and walked away. I settled back and watched as Erik walked through the door and behind him a pretty auburn haired girl. She was dressed well and carried herself with modesty and politeness. Her eyes were a bright green and I saw her scars. They weren't too prominent but they were there. I saw Erik hold out his hand and she took it gratefully. She didn't flinch at holding it. Then I saw it. A ring on her left hand. A wedding ring.

Carol's POV:

I shuddered and clung closer to Erik. I was dying of nerves over meeting him. I didn't know why. This wasn't like me. Maybe I was changing into a real Phantom and not liking people. A servant met us at the door and went to tell his master. A little later he returned and showed us into Daroga's office. He was a tallish man and dark skinned. His hair was changing to gray but wasn't all the way yet. Erik had told me that Daroga was older than him by twenty years or so. Erik reached out his hand and I took it quickly. I was about to look at Erik when I heard a gasp. Daroga was staring at my left hand. I smiled and knew precisely what he was looking at. My ring. I blushed and moved closer to Erik. Daroga motioned for us to sit down and I did just that without letting go of Erik's hand. Erik shot Daroga a deathly look as if daring him to make a comment. Daroga ignored him and said,

“How good to see you again, Erik. I thought you were dead.” Erik sighed.

“Unfortunately, I have an amazing constitution. Maybe fortunately. If I had died I wouldn't have Carol.” He glanced at me and his gaze softened. I squeezed his hand and smiled.

“Daroga, I want you to meet Carol, my fiancee.” I could hear the pride in his voice as he declared his relationship to me. I blushed and held his hand tighter. Daroga sat back and gave him the look.

“Erik, I assume this girls knows something about your past.” Erik looked down.

“All of it.” Daroga raised his eyebrows but didn't say anything to it.

“Well, then, she won't mind me asking. Is she engaged to you willingly?” Erik's head snapped back up and said,

“Of course she is. Would she be walking with me willing and not screaming if she wasn't.” I laid my hand on his shoulder as I could hear the anger rising in his tone.

“Erik, calm down. He is just making sure. He doesn't know that you have changed. Just relax.” Erik had told me many times that all I had to do was touch him and he forgot everything. Well, he was right. Once I laid my hand on his arm he calmed down instantly.

“I am sorry, Carol. I should get to riled up.” He shot a glare at Daroga and I smiled. Daroga rolled his eyes and leaned back in his chair.

“Would you two love birds tell me how you met? I would like to know how a pretty thing like you met him.” I blushed and I saw Erik's eyes narrow. He launched into the story and when he was done Erik was grinning and Daroga had his jaw touching the floor.

“Are you saying that this pretty girl is the infamous Phantomess of the Opera? You have got to be kidding!” He laughed and I pulled out my Punjab lasso. I laid it on the desk and his jaw which had moved back to its normal place dropped again.

“You mean he taught you how to use one of those things?” I nodded.

“I am pretty good too if I dare say so myself. I was wondering something. You thought Erik was dead. How would you since we made our grand entrance as the Phantom and Phantomess?” Daroga smiled.

“It didn't sound like Erik. He didn't kill or threaten anyone. I believed that someone else was just playing with the minds of the people. Erik wasn't like that. He just wasn't. If he had done that before Christine he would have at least tried to do something to someone. I knew that. It just didn't sound right. But now I see I was wrong. When is your wedding?” I sighed. We still hadn't come up with a date. We were just getting used to the fact we were engaged. I didn't think it was wise to get married so soon.

“Well, we don't have a date yet. But when we do, do you want to us to tell you and invite you?” Daroga nodded.

“I would like that. You said that your brother is a minister?” Erik nodded. Daroga had been surprised that he had a brother but very accepting of the idea of two Eriks running around. He had been grateful that Derek was sane. He didn't want another insane Erik around. I had to agree with him there. We kept talking about the wedding and our future plans for life. It was morning before we left his home and made our way back to ours. We had decided that it would be a month and a half. That was a good date for everyone. I was so excited. I was about to become Carol Destler, wife of the Phantom of the Opera.