Chapter 21 - Gone

Carol's POV:

Erik had proposed yesterday and it was about time that I told Carly. She was would be so excited. She had always been rooting for Erik and me. I hurried up my secret passageway and soon found myself in her office. She didn't even look before she said,

“Carol, I don't know why you even try to sneak up on me. You know it won't work. Only Erik can do that.” I sighed. Carly seemed to always know when I was around. Maybe it was because I was especially excited today that I couldn't move as silently as I had before.

“Carly, you know that I can sneak up on you if I wanted. I just didn't want to because I am too excited.” Carly turned to look at me and I saw her eyes drift down to my hand. She looked back at me and shook her head with excitement gleaming in her eyes. She sprang from her chair and gave me a big hug.

“I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I knew he would ask one day! I am sooooo excited! When you do plan on getting married?” I sighed and hugged her back.

“We haven't planned that far yet. He is still trying to understand that I accepted him. Soon, though. I don't want a long engagement.” Carly was practically bouncing up and down and if it hadn't been for the baby she probably would be. She was about three weeks along. I was smiling like an idiot. This was the best day in our lives.

“You know what this means, Carol?” I gave her a strange look.

“We will be sister-in-laws.” I smiled and hugged her. We stayed like that for a while before I realized I had better be getting back. After more hugging and congratulations I left through the door. I glided effortlessly down the hallways. I felt like I was walking on a cloud. I heard some people give me welcome greetings and I think I responded but I was still thinking about my future. As I hurried through a darker placed in the opera house I felt something come around my face. I started to reach for my lasso but my hand was pinned behind my back. I yanked it free and kicked my opponent. The person pulled away and I didn't even get a chance to look into his eyes before he grabbed me again. I tried to pull free but felt something hit my head. Black covered my vision and I knew no more.

It was sometime later when I awaken. My head hurt badly and I couldn't understand why. Then it all came back. The fight, the kidnapping-. I shot straight up at that. I had been kidnapped. Then I realized I was lying on a fine looking bed in a nice room. It was lit with a few candles and looked to be owned by someone wealthy. I shifted and realized my hands were tied. I tried to free them until a voice in the doorway said,

“Don't try. You won't succeed. You are now mine, little Carol. All mine.” The person moved into the room and I gasped.

My kidnapper was Fraser DeCain.

Erik's POV:

I searched high and low for her. Carly had said that she had been in her office just a little while before. I hurried down the hallway and stopped when I saw something on the floor. It was her Punjab lasso. There were signs of a struggle. I looked around for evidence as to who had done it and that is when I saw a ring. It was a simple man's ring with one black diamond set in it. I tried to remember who wore such a ring then I remembered. When I had been walking around Fraser DeCain, I had noticed he wore a ring much like it. It made sense. He would try to kidnap her. I growled. Carol brought out the Erik in me but Fraser brought out the Phantom in me. I could feel the insanity rising in my mind and soon all I could see was red. I would kill Fraser for what he had done.