Chapter 14 - A Phantom's Warning

Erik's POV:

I watched the man cower against the wall. I could tell he was scared. I didn't bother to even hide myself. I just stood in the half light and glared.

“How dare you hurt Carol?” I carefully circled him and ran my fingers through the silk of my lasso. I wouldn't have done anything at that moment to kill him but I had promised that I wouldn't kill. My lasso wasn't to be used unless someone was in danger. True, Carol was in danger but I was finding out that it was so much more fun to terrify a person than to kill them. Once they were dead all the fun was gone. Maybe that was why I liked my torture chamber so much. I did take a sick pleasure in torture. I couldn't help it. Maybe I was truly insane though Carol did try to tell me I wasn't. She seemed to see something good in a monster. I would never understand her.

I paced around him and saw his eyes were wide open and he was shaking. I smiled wickedly.

“Have you ever touched her before?” I put all my hypnotism to work. I knew how to craft a man's mind to my own. I just had to concentrate. Fortunately this was a fairly deserted passageway. I could do what I pleased for a while before someone found us. I hummed a quiet tune and it wasn't long before he was under my control. He was pitifully easy.

“I once tried to take advantaged of her. She was so pretty. I want her.” I glared but didn't dare break the hypnosis. I had more questions and a few instructions for him.

“Why didn't you marry her?” He moved to that tune that I was humming.

“I didn't want to be tied down. She was easy.” I shot him a dangerous look. I knew I had better stop before I kill him. My fingers were tightening around my lasso and it wouldn't have taken more than one more word from him and I would have broken his neck. I didn't even bother to completely remove him from the hypnosis before I sent my fist into his lower jaw. He crumpled to the floor. I towered over him and said,

“Don't ever touch her again. I will kill you, promise or no promise.” I left him on the ground and made my way back to Carly's office.

Carol's POV:

I sat in Carly's office and fretted. I knew Erik. I knew how much he loved torture. I knew he would probably kill Fraser. I wouldn't mind. He would be gone but I hated the thought of my Erik having blood on his hands. Carly was working on her paperwork but finally put it away and gave me “the look.” I was confused and returned her glare with a look expressive of that emotion.

“Carol, I need to talk to you.” I knew that tone and settled back. Something was eating her and I didn't know what.

“What is wrong, Carly? I mean, what happened?” Carly sighed and gave me this sad look.

“Are you trying to tell me that you aren't worried about Erik? I saw the way you were fretting. I know you. I have seen you when you had a crush on the cutest boy in town. I remember whenever he went hunting you always fretted. Now, your man is out defending your honor and you are fretting again. Worse I think.” I glared at her.

“Are you implying that I am in love with the Opera Ghost?” She nodded.

“You are. I can read it in your expression. How can you live with a man and not fall in love with him? It is natural for a woman to develop one of two emotions for a person she is spending a lot of time with. Either she learns to hate him or she learns to love him. I believe you have fallen in love with the Opera Ghost. I only hope for your sake he is over Christine. I can't stand to see you hurt.” I was about to answer when the door opened. Erik stepped through. I looked at him and saw anger was still blazing in his eyes. Not to mention that the gold was still swirling. I stood up and hurried over to him. He glanced at me and the insanity vanished.

“He is dealt with. I hope I scared him enough. I know what he did to you.” I looked down.

“How?” He shrugged his shoulders.

“You forget what I can do to a man's mind. We had better head back to the lair. Thank you, Carly, for keeping her out of trouble.” He turned to leave but I grabbed his hand. It was bruised and bloody. I stared at him and said,

“What did you do to yourself?” He shrugged it off and directed me to the lair. We were there in no time. I pushed him into the seat and said,

“Stay there. I will be right back.” I hurried to get some water and bandages. I didn't want that hand to swell. He had hit it pretty hard. He winced as I cleaned it up. Most of the blood was from Fraser but I didn't want to run any risks. When I was done cleaning it, I said,

“What did you do to him?” Erik smirked.

“I hypnotized him then knocked him unconscious.” I laughed then moved us to the couch. I wanted to sit down beside him. Something in me was starting to admit that Carly had been right. I had tried so hard not to think about it but it was true. I had been worried. We sat down together and I took his good hand in mine and rubbed my thumb on his palm. I leaned against his shoulder and whispered,

“Thank you. I am sure he won't come back.” I wondered what he was thinking but I was too tired to look up. The moment I sat down I felt my eyes start to close. I snuggled closer to him and fell asleep with one thing on my mind, I love the Phantom of the Opera.