Epilogue - The Rest of the Story

Carol's POV:

Life went on as normal. Erik and I were the Phantom and Phantomess of the Opera until our age denied us that privilege. By then Nadir was old enough and he had taken to haunting the Opera House for us. He wasn't as cruel as Erik but was a master with the Punjab lasso. Erik had taught him well. Rochelle did become a famous ballerina and was much loved by the people of Paris. She lived with us and then with Nadir when we left the Opera House. No one even asked why she disappeared every night and returned each morning. Noel took a great interest in medicine and became a famous doctor. He had been shocked when he learned that Rochelle and he weren't our children. He hadn't ever thought about it when he had been younger. But he didn't seem to mind. We were still his family.

Daroga married again soon after Nadir's birth. She was a widow with two children of her own. They had one of their own and lived quite happily. Daroga was a very attentive husband. His oldest step-daughter Desiree fell quite in love with Nadir and they were married when he was twenty and she eighteen. Daroga was only slightly pleased with his step-daughter becoming the new Phantomess of the Opera but she turned out to have just the right touch.

Erik and I moved into a small flat in a wealthy part of Paris and he never left the house. Part of it was the fact his years were catching up to him and part of it was because he was still a wanted man. We would read the paper about our son and his wife and couldn't help but laugh. It was strange to think that if I had died that night in the snow I wouldn't have ever become part of a great dynasty. The dynasty of the Phantom of the Opera.

Author's POV:

Nadir and Desiree lived to a ripe old age and had three children. The oldest was just like his father and grandfather. He moved into the fifth cellar as the new Phantom of the Opera and soon after a ballerina vanished. Two weeks after that the Opera House had a new Phantomess.

And so it went. Every twenty to twenty-five years a singer or a ballerina would disappear. A little while later the Phantom would announce his new Phantomess. Who knows, maybe one day soon another Phantom will rise up to take control of the Opera House and steal once more, the heart of a girl and reply the old story of the love of a monster.