Chapter 7 - Idea

Carol's POV:

Carly left sometime later and I quickly called for Erik. With swish of his cape I saw his terrifying form coming toward me. I could tell he wasn't happy. As he drew closer I saw the gold in his eyes swirling. It was a sign of his insanity. Before he could say a thing I laid my hand in his. That calmed him in an instant. The insanity vanished and was replaced by confusion. He still didn't understand that I didn't mind doing that with him. I would hold his hand for the rest of eternity if he wanted.

“Let's go down to your lair and talk. I have an idea.” I smiled and he gave me a concerned look.

“Should I be worried?” I shook my head and he guided me down to the lair. It wasn't long before I was relaxing in a chair and him on the piano bench. I smiled. I liked it down here. It was beautiful and unique. Just like him.

“How was that?” He asked.

“That was an old friend of mine. Her name is Carlisa Sullivan. I know her as Carly. She is really sweet and kind. She isn't dangerous.” Erik glared at me.

“What idea did you have?” Now I would have to prepare myself for the storm. I was sure I could handle it though.

“Erik, I want Carly and her fiancee to come to your lair for a Christmas party.” Erik shot from his seat and walked toward me with a deathly look in his eyes. I just knew he was probably going to kill me for that statement. I sat in my seat and kept a perfect poker face. I couldn't let him see my fear. I had to say that when he became angry it was a terrifying sight. I had but one thing I could do. I reached out and took his hand in both of mine. He looked down at it and his hand shook slightly. He was calming down. The storm had been averted to some degree.

“Erik, it wouldn't hurt to have someone here to visit. They will never find their way back. You know that. I think you might want to meet her fiancee.”

Erik's POV:

I was seething. How dare she even think of asking anyone to my lair. It was my lair and now it was hers as well. But I wasn't about to let anyone else in. Truth was that when I stood up all I could see was my anger and all I could here was the noise in my head. But when she grabbed my hand I felt what sanity I had left returning. I looked down and felt my hand shake. It felt so good to hold someone's hand. It felt very good. When she held my hand without flinching I felt human. The monster was gone and the man was there. Maybe that is why she held it so often. She was trying to keep the monster away. Then she said something that shocked me. She said that her friend's fiancee was deformed. I couldn’t help but ask,

“How?” She shrugged her shoulders.

“I don't know. She merely said he was deformed. I accepted that. I am sure that if she could love him then she can bear with you. Just keep your flaming head out of the deal.” I glared at her and she giggled. The girl wasn't even the slightest bit afraid of me. I didn't bother to smile back. I removed my hand carefully from her's and returned to my piano. I needed to compose while I finished calming down.

Carol's POV:

I watched him start to play and I walked over to a bookshelf. I picked a book that interested me. I settled down on the couch and read for a while. Then I said,

“Erik, did you really teach Christine how to sing?” He turned to look at me and I could see the pain written plainly in his face. I didn't want to hurt him but I needed to know. I wanted to learn how to sing. He nodded gently.

“I did.” I smiled at him and, walking over to him, took his hand to try to take away the pain.

“I was wondering if you would teach me. I want to know how to sing properly. Besides, we have nothing else to do.” Erik looked at me and said,

“Okay.”