Chapter 8 - Hugs

Carol's POV:

I hurried through the tunnels and quickly found my way up. Erik had been drilling me about them and what to avoid and what to trust. He was a hard teacher and had said that until I learned the tunnels he wouldn't teach me to sing. I was stubborn and almost had the main path down. I wanted to learn how to sing very badly. I heard that Carly was in the building. The nice thing about the lair was that in a certain spot you could hear everything that was happening in the whole building. I was standing in that spot and heard Carly calling for me. I sprinted out of the tunnels and made my way into the hallways. Carly was standing on the stage with her hands on her hips. I sprinted up to her and collapsed to the ground.

“Don't make me run like that all the time. I might be fit but I am not that fit!” I gasped. She burst out laughing.

“I am sorry. I didn't know that you lived that far away.”

“We live in the fifth cellar. Fortunately for you there is a place where we can hear everything.” I saw Carly's eyes widen.

“The fifth cellar? You have got to be kidding!” I shook my head.

“It pretty far down there. By the way, I have an idea for where we can have the Christmas party.” Carly raised her eyebrows.

“Where?”

“In the lair. I thought it would be fun.” Carly gasped and I giggled.

“What did Erik have to say to that idea?” I rolled my eyes.

“Let's say, that we almost had a storm happen beneath the opera house. After hours of talking he agreed. He wasn't happy but he agreed.” Carly laughed.

“You must have some persuasive hold on him.” I sighed.

“Its called taking his hand. He hasn't been touched in two years. He lives his like alone. Completely alone. He is still getting used to the fact that there is someone there for him.” I felt tears coming to my eyes. I realized that Erik had come to mean a lot to me. We hadn't know each but a few days yet we were very close. Maybe it was the fact we were living together. Carly sighed.

“Well, that must be fun, handling a storm. Okay, what about decorations?” I winked at her.

“Erik gave me some money. We can go buy come and carry them down there.” Carly's eyes went wide.

“All the way?” I nodded.

“It might take a while but we can do it.” She shrugged her shoulders.

“Okay. Let's do it.”

Several hours later we were carrying our stuff down the to the cellar. We had done well in our shopping and I even got Erik a present. I didn't know if he would like it but I thought a new cloak would be helpful. His was a little threadbare. I knew that when I got there Erik would be gone. I knew that. We carried our stuff over the lake and into the lair. I looked back and saw that Carly was in shock. We had managed to get a small Christmas tree and ornaments. We also had various foods which I knew Erik didn't have. We had decided that the party would be tomorrow. I would go up and get the pair. I had also promised that Erik would be there and not just his head. He didn't like showing himself. No once while Carly was there did he ever show his face.

I took her back a while later and finally when I returned I saw Erik waiting for me. He had a confused look on his face. I walked over to him and smiled. He pointed at the tree and said,

“What is that for? It is pretty but why?” I laughed.

“Erik, don't you know what a Christmas tree is?” He shook his head. I looked at him and realized something.

“This is your first Christmas, isn't it?” He nodded. I took his hand and said,

“I should have known and gotten you something worth more.” I felt horror come over me. A cloak wouldn't suffice for his first ever Christmas gift. He stared at me in shock.

“You got me a gift?” I could tell he was having a hard time believing me.

“Yes, I did. And you don't get to see it until tomorrow. But I wish I got you something less practical.” I sighed.

“You know that I am practical.” I nodded and squeezed his hand.

“Yes, but gifts aren't meant to be practical. They are meant to be fun. What is the one thing you would want for Christmas that no one has ever given you?” He looked at me and I saw his eyes were filling with tears.

“A hug that someone willing gave me without flinching.” He turned away. I pulled him back though and said,

“Well then, here.” I wrapped my arms around his waist and gave him a hug. I couldn't help but notice how gaunt he was. But I didn't mind. He was my friend. I felt his freeze and then wrap his arms carefully around me. As he held onto me I could hear him sobbing. The first hug this man had ever had. I knew he was probably over thirty and I couldn't imagine how someone would survive alone for so long. I knew why he had tried to keep Christine with him. He wanted a friend. He didn't want to be alone anymore.

We stayed like that for a while. He wasn't willing to let me go and neither was I. When we finally parted there was a stronger bond between us. He looked at me with gentleness for the first time in our acquaintance. We were friends.