Chapter 25 - Closure

Erik's POV:

Carol was gone to the surface and I was watching the fire in the fireplace. I was thinking about Christine. I was beginning to realize that I needed closure with her. I needed to tell her some things. I had some apologizing to do. I hated apologies. I stood up and grabbed my cape and fedora. I left a note for Carol, explaining why I where I was going. I soon left the Opera House and walked to the De Chagny manor. I watched from the shadows. There stood the former love of my life. She was cradling a child and I could see a huge bulge on her stomach. She was expecting her second child. If I had done this before I met Carol I would be sobbing right now. But Carol loved me and it didn't hurt to see Christine doing this. She was happy and I was now. I had to get her attention. She deserved to know how I was getting along.

He's here, the phantom of the opera

Beware, the phantom of the opera

Christine froze and I could feel her terror. I was glad I didn't keep her. I could bear to see her afraid. She turned toward my voice and must have seen my shadow. She took a step away and I smiled.

“How good to see you again, Christine. I see you are doing well.” She nodded and clutched her child closer. It was an automatic reaction. I smiled at her apprehension.

“I am not coming to kidnap you, Christine. I came to tell you something.” She frowned and seemed quite confused.

“What do you mean?” I moved slightly from the shadows and said,

“I have found someone else.” She gasped and in her shock relaxed. I smiled. She hadn't expected that.

“Who?” She asked quietly.

“A girl named Carol. She cares and loves me. We are to be married in a month. Christine, I am letting you go. You are free. I still care what happens to you but I no longer love you like I did.” Christine smiled slightly.

“Thank-you.” She looked down at the child in her arms and cooed slightly. I smiled again. She was such a good mother. I whispered,

“Might I see the child?” She held it close but nodded. I could see the fear in her eyes. I walked forward and looked down to see a little girl who was just like Christine. I smiled and looked back at her. She held the child in a death grip. I backed away and said,

“Teach her how to sing. I taught you. Don't give it up.” And with that I walked away. I had seen Christine and spoken to her. That was enough to put my heart at rest. I was through with her. She was happy and I could see that she was. I wasn't going to remove that. Besides, I thought as my pace quickened, you have someone waiting at home for you. Hurry, she will be worried.

I was right. The moment I entered the room, Carol jumped from her seat and flung herself at me. I fell back a step when she collided with me. The mask was gone from my face in a moment and she was kissing me like there was no tomorrow. Hey, that was fine by me. I pinned her against me and kissed her hard enough to make her lips sore. She finally pulled away and scowled,

“Well, what happened? After that kissing I can assume you are over completely.” I nodded.

“Yes, I am free of her. I love you and she is gone forever. I just needed to tell her that. She is in love with Raoul and I didn't even cry when I saw her rocking her child and carrying his second one inside her. I don't wish they were mine.” I pulled her close and hugged her like I wasn't ever going to let her go. She hugged me back and we stood like that for a long time. Then it came time for me to go roam the opera house and I was forced to leave her. I didn't like leaving my love but she didn't feel up to roaming the halls. I didn't know why but she hadn't been quite herself since she had been kidnapped. She told me she was just recovering from the shock of it all and the emotional outpouring it had caused. I was willing to go along with that. If she wanted to talk then she would.

Christine's POV:

I stood there in shock. He had just told me that he found someone else. He loved someone else. I didn't care. I was kinda glad he found happiness in the end. Maybe he wasn't all bad. But something gnawed at my mind. I needed to know who this girl was. I needed to talk to her. I knew the way back to his lair. I could only hope that he wasn't going to be there. I wanted to make sure she wasn't being held against her will.

I passed Angeline to her nurse and took a carriage to the Opera House. I made my way through the tunnels and found myself on the edge of his lake. The boat was on this side. That meant he was roaming the opera house. I carefully took myself across and found the lair hadn't changed a bit. I carefully stepped onto the shore and I heard a pretty voice call,

“Erik? Why are you home so...” A pretty girl stepped from the house and ceased her sentence. She gave me a weird look and said,

“Who are you?” I sighed.

“Christine.” She pulled back and I saw her jaw tighten. Her hand went behind her back and somehow I got the impression she wasn't doing it because she was nervous.

“Why are you here? Erik went to talk to you. Why did you come back?” I sighed.

“You are Carol?” The girl nodded. I walked closer and saw that she was about two years younger than me. She had fire marks on her face but she was pretty as pretty goes. Her green eyes shown and I knew she was here willing.

“Why do you ask?” She said. She was direct and to the point. I smiled. They were right for each other. They would live a happy life.

“I wanted to make sure you were here willingly. He never said that and I was worried.” Carol smiled. She was really pretty when she smiled. I guess Erik was lucky enough.

“I am here willingly. You don't have to worry. Are you alright? You look like you are about eight months pregnant?” I laughed. I was due to have the baby any day.

“I am due any day.” Carol smiled.

“Well, than you better get back. Do you want some help across?” I nodded and the girl carefully guided the boat across the lake. As we went across, I asked,

“What do you do here?” The girl smiled.

“I am the Phantomess of the Opera. Every Phantom deserves his Phantomess. We are very happy, terrorizing the managers. I like it. I have a favor to ask you.” I cocked my head and listened carefully.

“Please don't tell any one about this place. I beg you. Erik had changed. He isn't the same man that hurt you and your husband. Just forget he ever existed.” I nodded. I fully intended to. She led me to the surface and I left. My heart was at ease. Erik was happy and I was too. I smiled and placed my hand on my belly. Life was good.