Chapter 3 - Beneath the Opera House

Carol's POV:

I shuddered awake. I opened my eyes and took a deep breath. This sure didn't look like heaven. And it didn't look like hell. It was like the a room. But something was wrong. Then I realized it. There was no sunlight. A fire was crackling merrily in the hearth and I yawned. I remembered trying to kill myself and then someone coming over to me. I didn't remembered anything more though. I tried to think but couldn't. All I could remember was those golden eyes which had burned into mine. I tried to sit up but a voice said,

“Stay where you are. I don't want you to get sick.” I glanced toward the doorway and saw a tall man standing in it. A heavy cowl covered his face but from what I could tell of him he was extremely thin. Gaunt, if I dared say such a thing. I frowned at him.

“Why did you save me? I would've been better off dead.” He moved toward me and sat down beside the bed. I almost smiled when I saw those golden eyes glowing at me. I was growing rather fond of them.

“Because, a girl like you shouldn't die. Surely you have something to live for.” He laughed ruffly. I scowled. I didn't have anything to live for.

“I don't. Where am I? When may I get up?” He walked away and I wished I could see his expression. He stoked the fire and turned back to me.

“You are in my home. You may get up when I tell you to.” I was never one who took orders well so I quickly moved off the bed and stood up. Even though my head swam I smirked at him. I saw those golden eyes narrow.

“I told you that you would get up when I told you.” He walked toward me and towered over me. I raised my eyebrows, trying to look like he wasn't having an affect on me, but he was. I couldn't help but feel small with this man looking straight down at me. I smiled.

“Well, I guess, I read your mind.” He growled and walked away.

“You never answered me when I asked where I was. You said I was in your house. Where is your house?” He stopped in the doorway and turned around.

“Under the opera house.” I knitted my eyebrows. This was strange. I tried to think if I had heard of anyone living under the opera house. I then recalled a scandal that had happened about two years previous. It had involved a singer named Christine Daae and the Viscount Raoul De Changy. In it there had been mentioned a mad man who lived under the opera house. The Phantom of the Opera. I swallowed. That meant that I was in the control of the Opera Ghost. I felt a shudder pass through me. I had heard that he was deformed. But I knew one thing. He had loved and been left. He had been broken hearted. My fear turned to compassion. He was alone with his memories. That couldn't be good for a man who was already insane. I walked out of the room and took in the sight around me. We were in a house which seemed to be in a cave. It was strange. I saw the Phantom was leaning over his piano and I thought I heard crying. I could feel his pain in the room. Mirrors were shattered around the room. I looked back at the Phantom and saw that he had removed his hat. What I was seeing was the back of a fedora. I cleared my throat and he turned quickly. I kept my face even as I saw the mask. What creeped me out a little was the face. There was no bump in the full-face mask for a nose. At the top of the mask I could just see some yellow skin. It was well hidden though. There was a hole for his mouth and I could see the yellow skin around it. He was so skinny. I smiled at him.

“I think I know who you are?” He didn't say anything but those golden eyes kept boring straight into mine.

“You are the Phantom of the Opera, aren't you?” He stood and took a sweeping bow.

“At your service, ma'am.” I smiled again.

“What is your name?”

Erik's POV:

I saw shocked. She knew who I was and wasn't running or screaming, or fainting! How did this happen? And on top of it all she wanted to know my name! This was more than my over active brain could handle. I gasped out,

“Erik.”