Chapter 6 - Carly

Carol's POV:

I couldn't believe it. My old friend Carlisa or Carly as I knew her better, was here and buying the opera house. I thought I heard Erik growl when I broke cover. But I ignored him and ran toward Carly. She gave me the weirdest look then her eyes went wide. We ran into each other's open arms.

“What happened to you?” I drew back and realized what must have confused her. My burns.

“My whole family died in a house fire and I received severe burns.” She gasped and hugged me again.

“I am sooooo sorry to hear that, Carol. Who are you staying with?” I swallowed. How was I to say this.

“An old friend.” She seemed to accept that. I decided to act innocent and pretend I had no idea why she was here. I couldn't give Erik away just yet. She would figure out soon enough that the place was haunted.

“What might you be doing here?” She laughed.

“My fiancee has always dreamed of having his own opera house. He loves music. When he heard this place was for sale, he insisted on buying it. I of course agreed. I would go anywhere just to stay with him. So, here I am.”

“What is your fiancee's name? Where is he?” I was ecstatic. My old friend was going to be married. She laughed and we started to walk around the old building.

“Well, his name is Derek and he is in Germany right now. That is where I have been living for the past few years.” I giggled and nudged her.

“What does he look like?” Suddenly her face fell. I was totally confused.

“Carol, you are a strong woman. I know that. He isn't normal. He is deformed.” I smiled.

“I understand. I don't mind a deformed man at all. I am glad to see you love him. I am sure he is very deserving.” Carly laughed a little. “I won't ask any more. I will find out when I see him.” We strolled around then I asked something,

“Don't you know this place is haunted?” Carly rolled her eyes.

“Really, do you think I am running from a myth. I am not scared of a ballet rat's tales.” I shuddered and look around. I hoped Erik hadn't heard that.

“Carly, I don't think you should say that out loud. Erik will have a fit. He is very adamant that he is real.” Carly gave me the weirdest look. I looked around and flinched when I felt a dark presence come around us. He might be flesh and blood but he knew how to act like a ghost.

“Erik, stop this. You are scaring her.” Suddenly a booming voice echoed around the building.

“Isn't that what a ghost is supposed to do, Carol?” I rolled my eyes.

“Erik, come out. I know you are there. Come out and meet your new manager.” I heard the swishing of a cloak and I saw a flaming head approaching us. I sighed.

“Erik, I meant the whole of you. I didn't mean just your flaming head.”

“No doing.” Erik said. The head stopped moving and I looked over at Carly. Her eyes were wide and I could see terror written in them. I grasped her hand and said,

“Don't be afraid. He just likes to do that a lot. Don't worry, he is somewhere but I don't think I can get him out. You'll meet him soon enough. Come on, lets look around. Erik, you can drop the flaming head. It is a little weird. Not scary, weird.” A growl echoed around us and the head vanished. There was a swish of a cloak and I knew Erik was gone. I took a deep breath and turned back to Carly. She was shaking like a leaf. I gave her a hug and she whispered,

“How did you do that?” I shrugged my shoulders.

“He's my friend. Just don't get on his bad side.”

“Trust me, I won't.” We hurried along and Carly made notes on a piece of paper. I suddenly asked,

“What is today's date?” Carly gave me another weird look.

“It's the twentieth of December. Why?” I gasped. It was almost Christmas.

“Carly, its almost Christmas!” She nodded.

“Didn't you know?” It was time to explain.

“Carly, I told you that I am living with a friend. Well, that is true. I just need to tell you who this friend is.” Carly raised her eyebrows and suddenly said,

“No, don't tell me you are living with the Phantom of the Opera?” I nodded.

“He saved my life, Carly. I was going to commit suicide. He took me to his home and kept me from dieing. We are friends now. Real friends. That is why he listens to me just a little. I think if he got over his need to scare the living day lights out of you, you two could get along well enough.” I smiled.

“I think I would like to meet him.” Carly seemed a little nervous.

“How about we have a Christmas party! I can meet your fiancee and you can meet Erik.” Carly nodded quickly.

“That is perfect! Derek said he would be here for Christmas. We could hold it here or at our house.” I thought about it then smiled. I had just the best (and the worst) idea I had ever had. Erik was going to through a fit over this plan. I just knew it.