Chapter 17 - The Truth

Carol's POV:

I saw him gasp as I said those words. He was shaking and I saw tears in his eyes. The poor man was broken. I wanted to heal him but I didn't know how. I walked forward and whispered,

“Did you mean it?” He nodded. I smiled encouragingly. I wanted him to say those three words that I had said to him. He knew what I wanted and murmured,

“Carol, I love you.” He turned away the moment he said that. I could almost feel his pain.

“Erik, I have never lied to you. I have always told you the blunt truth. Do you think I would lie about this?” His shoulders were shaking. I could hear his almost-silent sobs. I walked toward him. I stopped when he said,

“Carol, if you love me will you prove it to me?” I was confused but said,

“Of course. What must I do?” He turned toward me and said,

“Let me kiss you on your forehead.” I could see him bracing for rejection. I smiled and him and said,

“Please, do it.” He walked toward me and I closed my eyes. I felt him come closer and I could his hear his shallow breathing. I put my forehead toward him carefully and I felt his lips brush my forehead. They were soft and warm. I couldn't stop blushing. One moment they were there then they were gone. I opened my eyes and saw his were wide with shock. I knew what I wanted to do now. I stepped toward him and before he could move I grabbed a handful of his shirt and kissed him on the lips. He was stiff as a board and I was getting tired of trying to kiss a statue when he finally moved. I realized something. He had a lot of passion and I was getting a taste of it. I wasn't sure if he knew what he was doing but he held me close to him and kissed me within an inch of my life. Somehow his tongue found my mouth and managed to get inside. I wasn't sure what was going on but I wasn't stopping him. I was loving every moment of it. His hands found their way to my face and held me against him. By now I was in need of some air. I didn't want to stop but I didn't want to faint on him. I slowly parted and he drew completely away. I blushed and reached for his hand but he drew back. I wasn't sure what was wrong. He said he loved me. I loved him and I had just proven it. Suddenly he collapsed to his knees and his head fell to his hands. I wasn't sure what to do. I heard his broken sobs and I knelt down beside him. I wrapped my arms around him and held him close to me. He laid his head against my shoulder and cried. I wasn't sure why but I didn't want him to cry alone. I knew how that felt. It wasn't easy. I don't know how long I held him but finally he pulled away.

“Do you really love me, Carol?” He tucked a lock of my auburn hair behind my ear. I smiled and kissed him gently on the lips. I really liked that. He was a great kisser even though he was deformed.

“I do love you. I will never leave you alone. Never.” He closed his eyes and tears fell free.

“No one has ever said that.” I hugged him again and whispered,

“Well, now they have.” I wrapped my arms around his and pulled him as close as I could. He started to cry again and I rocked him gently. He finally pulled away and, rising to his feet, walked away. I stood and followed. He leaned the table and I wasn't sure what he was thinking. He turned to look me.

“Carol, no one has ever kissed me on the lips. Never. I kiss Christine on the forehead but that was because I had forced her too. She did it to save her lover. She pitied me. That is all. She did it because she pitied me. Do you pity me?” I looked at him and tried to decide. I couldn't help but feel somewhat sorry for him because he was forced to live like a haunted animal. I said,

“Erik, I want you to hear me out. Listen carefully.” I took a deep breath and said, “I do sometimes feel sorry for you because you have lived in hell. I can't help it. But if that hadn't happened I would be dead and we never would have met. So I though I wish you hadn't had to go through that it has turned out well. I love you; I don't pity you.” He pushed himself off the table and walked toward me.

“You would pity me if you saw under the mask.” I put the most determined look I could on my face and said,

“Try me.”