The Memories

Kyojuro's POV

"Where... where am I?" No one answers my question. My surrounding is pitch black. The last time I remember, I was sleeping in an inn after completing a mission. So this must be a dream. But the problem is, I don't know how to wake myself up. Overall, my body is a little bit exhausted. Not knowing where to go or who would help me, I just stand there, doing nothing, and still hoping that I might magically wake up after I got full rest.

Then, a sphere of light appears above me and its light engulfs the darkness of this mysterious place. I close my eyes due to the blinding light. I continue to shield my eyes until my ears caught birds' chirping sound. I slowly open my eyes and was greeted with familiar scenery.

Wait a minute. Something's off. I'm... shorter?

"Oniichan!" "Yoru nii-san!" That voice... that's me and Senjuro when we're younger. I can't seem to control my own body. I keep running towards the Sakura tree beside the lake near our neighborhood.

[Author: One day, I woke up and still laying on my bed, thinking about my life. Some of my friends already have a car license while I'm still frightened to ride a bike, afraid of Truck-Kun's sudden appearance to got me isekai'd. While thinking of my lack of maturity, I reflect upon my mistakes in life. So, to sum things up, I decided that Oreki doesn't have to sing.

Oreki: Yes, thank you, author- sama. Now, I can focus on my plans.

Author: Your plans? WTF are you talking about?! In the end, I'm the one who needs to create it because you're my OC.

Oreki: What about Katsuki and Lord Lucky?

Author: They're both my OC too. Now, go back to the other side. I'll continue this story after fixing this broken fourth wall.]

[ I forgot what song I put here. Video unavailable somehow. Either way, continue reading.]

There, stood someone I never thought I would see again. "You're late." He crosses his arms. Oniichan...

The petals are blown by the gentle early summer breeze. The sunlight makes it through the pinkish petals on the trees. The lake reflects the clouds on the clear blue sky. It was another beautiful summer.

This isn't just any dream. It's our memories together.

"You watched Sumo Wrestling again, right?" Oniichan sighs. He turns his back facing us. "How could you? Is it more important until you both made me wait here alone? Ouch."

Senjuro and I start to panic. " AH! N-NO! It's nothing like that! Of course, you're more important oniichan!"

"The fight last longer than we expected! We lost track of time! So we rushed here right after it's over! We swear!" Senjuro adds.

Oniichan still didn't face us. We thought he is disheartened by our actions. But his next words shock my entire soul. "PFFFFFFTT!"

Then we realize that he's just messing with us. "Oniichan! That's mean!" " Yoru nii-san! I actually believed that you're upset! That's an act?!!"

"Sorry, I can't help it." Oniichan turns around and pinches our cheeks. "Cute."

This makes both Senjuro and I flustered. "Eeeeeeehhh?!!" " Oniichan! We're the same age! And I'm a Demon Slayer! I'm not cute-OW!" Oniichan pinches my cheek harder.

" When I said that you're cute, then you're cute. Why? Because it's the truth. Got it?" After we nod, he finally lets go of our cheeks. It stings.

" Yoru nii-san!  Is there something wrong? Why did you ask us to come here?" Oniichan keeps his silence. The breeze pass through our gap.

" I... I just wanted to be here with you two. We might not see each other... I mean, not so often like before."

Senjuro and I rush to him and give him a warm hug. Senjuro has tears in his eyes. "Y-Yoru nii-san! Don't say things like that! The way you said it as if you might die or something!" "Oniichan! You're strong! You will have a long life! A happy life! I believed in you!"

My younger self is so naive...

"Hn." Oniichan pats our heads. "I'll try. But I also have another favor to ask." Even though his facial expression is blank, I can tell that he's serious. " Even when you suffered great loss, even if you got knocked down by your own cowardice, set your heart ablaze! Continue to live and protect the people from demons. Can you promise me that?"

"I promise, oniichan!" " Me too! I promise too, Yoru niisan!"

If I knew that's the last time... I won't happily say it to his face.

When we look up again, tears formed in oniichan's eyes. It's the first time I see him cries. My heart shatters.

[Ignore the cat ears and make-up

[Ignore the cat ears and make-up. Please.]

The place turns pitch black again. Why now?! I want this dream to last longer!

"Oniichan!" I heard my own voice. But this time, my voice is like a child. I turn around and everything changes again. We're both only two years old. The thunderstorm outside really scares the younger me. "Oniichan! Why are you so c-calm?!! The thunder is so loud and scary!"

I trembles while oniichan just stays static, unaffected by the thunder. "Yeah, it can kill you. If you're lucky enough, you'll live. There's a certain crybaby I knew who lived."

"It can kills?!! That's worse!"

I mentally sweatdrop. How can he say that without the slightest fear?

*Extremely loud and shocking thunder sound that could scare the hell out of little children*

"AAAAHHH!!!" I shut my eyes and hugs, my twin, tightly. I cried. " O-oniichan... I'm scared! *Hic!*" My eyes are watery. Oniichan strokes the backside of my head gently.

"There, there... oniichan will always protects you no matter what." He wipes my tears with his soft thumb. " I'll become stronger. Wait for me. I'll definitely save you."

*GASP!* I open my eyes as I jerked back to reality. I rub my eyes... it's wet. Perhaps... I'm crying? I wipe the remaining tears with my sleeve. I stand up and opens the window of my rented room. It's dawn. My mind replays the time we sneaked out to watch the sunrise together. A question keeps repeating itself inside my head.

Will you really come, oniichan?

...

Oreki's POV

I'm at Katsuki's secret base (house) after a long night killing demons. The sky did not look so special. It's dawn. I get to see it every day. But, for an unknown reason, my heart feels like there's a hole in it. Something's missing. And I don't know what it is. The more I think of it, the more frustrated I become.

" Oreki! Why are you still standing there? Is there something bothering you? *Gasp!* Or maybe someone! Who is it?!! Did that person makes you uncomfortable?!! Does the person did something to you?!! UNFORGIVABLE! TELL ME! I'LL-"

"Ah.... no, that's not the case. I'm just staring at the sky. Sorry for worrying you, Katsuki."

Katsuki clutches his chest where his heart is located. He let out a sigh of relief. I take a glance at the sky before entering the house.