Chapter 20

"Hyunjin, we're ready for you," an attendant told me.

I had gotten in a few practice shots which was more than enough.

I waited outside of the fence as Coach Ahn announced my name.

"Pleas welcome Korea's tennis extraordinaire herself, Choi Hyunjin!"

I burst through, waving at the hopefuls who were pretty much filling up the stands.

Usually a bunch of them saw the expo and started dwindling down as those with exceptional skills overtook.

But it was fun to see all the kids sit in the same spot I sat in before I was picked by Coach Ahn.

I grabbed a mic, "Hello! I'm Choi Hyunjin! Wow it's so great to see you all here! Eight years ago I sat in those same seats as you all were hoping that I was going to be Coach Ahn's next pupil. Some of you may get there. And if you don't it's nothing to worry about. You have so many chances to work with so many amazing coaches. Never give up, that's what is most important. If you're truly passionate about the sport, you'll work for it everyday! Promise me that. Anyway, for the expo I will be facing off against my beloved coach in one match. So three games later we'll see who the victor is, though it's probably gonna be me!"

I made eye contact with Hoseok who was smiling proudly.

I've got this. I'm was in my element.

The match started without much else. We had a referee closely watching the game.

I was serving first. I took a deep breath, bouncing the ball before throwing it up and smacking it.

And thus it began.

My coach easily returned the ball, but I wasn't one to back down because they could rally the serve.

I shouted as I pelted the ball back. I had hit it in such a way that it was spinning and was sailing close to the net. But coach had seen all of this and reciprocated the ball back.

This went on a few more times until I finally hit the ball on the baseline.

"Fifteen-love!"

I cracked my neck, come on Hyunjin. Just four more of those and you'll win.

The next round went on with my coach scoring on me.

But after that I picked up his serve with ease and faked him out.

The crowd was going crazy for the close game.

I scored the next point and then scored another ending the first game.

"Game one goes to Choi Hyunjin!" The referee announced.

Everyone cheered and Daeho snapped some pictures of me.

One of the attendants tossed me a Gatorade which I drank instantly.

I wiped the sweat on my forehead before coming back to the court.

"You one that, but I'm not done yet!" My coach called.

"I expect nothing less!" I called back.

"MAMA! MAMA! MAMA!" A familiar voice yelled out.

I turned to the stands to see Chanhee squirming in Hoseok's arms as he tried to reach for me while he cheered.

I'm doing this for you buddy.

In the second game, my coach got to serve first. His serve was pretty sloppy which allowed me to easily smack it back and score the first point.

I served cleanly, my coach swiping the ball back. I hit it with a backhand, adding in one of my signature racket spins.