1: math tests

if life was a popularity contest, jungkook would be dead last.

he was sure maybe four people at his school knew his name and he's including himself in that count. his teachers constantly forgot who he was, even though he was the top student of his class, and he was so quiet that his classmates would often let out a small 'huh' whenever the name jeon jungkook was uttered.

the raven-haired boy didn't mind it, in fact he preferred it. it was better that the rude, self-absorbed, sex-addicted, idiots that inhabited his school didn't know of his existence. this way jungkook could live his life without any of them bothering him.

with his eyes on his sneakers and airpods blaring music in his ears, he traversed through the halls, ignoring the various conversations jungkook could hear because he refused to turn on the noise-canceling feature just in case someone asked him for directions or something, which would be out of the ordinary.

no one noticed him, no one knew he even went to this school.

he reached into his locker, pulled out his required textbooks and continued on to class without speaking a single word. what was the point? no one would respond to jungkook anyways. delicate fingers held the spine of his books with such care, contrasting the blasting noise in his eardrums.

as jungkook walked to class, his eyes landed on the trophy case and his legs made the movement. the glass was dirty, graying pictures from the early 20th century lined the wood backings, and the writing on the plaques were fading. he hated this trophy case, it was filled with pointless, meaningless awards, except for the student of the year award.

the coveted award stood proud in the glass case. it gleamed even though the janitor hadn't wiped it down in a while, showing its true beauty to everyone who walked past it. the award was given to the student who was all around perfect: perfect academic standing, perfect attendance, perfect behavioral report, perfect sports performance, perfect everything.

the headmaster would present the award at graduation, in front of the entire school and it was a big deal in their one-track high school minds. it was the ultimate award, the only award that jungkook was sure as shit he wouldn't get.

two hands clamped down on his shoulders and he turned to find his two best friends on either side of him, one smiling his normal dimpled smile and the other looking expressionless like he always does.

"you know staring at it won't make you win it. i'm just saying" namjoon teased, earning an eye roll in response. his blonde hair was brushed off his face perfectly, eyes framed by thick black glasses, he looked the same every time jungkook saw him.

the oldest clicked his tongue, pushing them towards the classroom. "oi, don't tease him so early in the day."yoongi warned, veiny hands pushing the purple-ish gray hair off of his forehead as he fought to keep his eyes open.

meet min yoongi and kim namjoon, jungkook's bestfriends since the beginning of time, a.ka the human form of comfort, a.k.a jungkook's support system, a.k.a the main reason as to why he isn't holed up in some fancy boarding school in europe like his mother would've preferred.

sure they teased the shit out of him sometimes but they were everything to jungkook.

"i was just looking at it. is that such a crime?" his cheeks felt like they were on fire when he walked in because his voice was loud enough so that other people could hear him speak. the sight of others' eyes on jungkook made him retreat back into his shell like a turtle.