9: peppermint tea

jarofsuga here to tell you that i love sope/yoonseok more than anything.

a couple of days had gone by and there was another party that the jeons were throwing. only this time, jungkook's presence was deemed okay. his sister, haewon, was turning 20 and of course, what better way to celebrate it than by an overly elaborate party filled with people that she barely knows.

his dress shirt has a bit too much starch in it and his hair is pushed off of his forehead so he looks younger and more professional. jungkook squirms in his spot ans he barely listens to yoongi and namjoon talk (flirt) with jimin and hoseok.

it was nice to see his friends having fun with boys, boys that they were into, but he wishes taehyung were here. maybe he wouldn't feel like such a third wheel.

"jungkook took chemistry over the summer so he doesn't have to take it this year, he's in advanced bio with all the smart kids." he heard namjoon coo over him with such pride, similar to what his dad does when it's just them two in his apartment. his head turns to see jimin and him facing him.

"m'so fucking bad at chemistry." jimin moans out. in his small hands there's a half drunk champagne flute because the rich parents here don't care for following the law, anyone can drink alcohol if they want to. "mr. yang is such a drag too. i can't even try to listen 'cause everything he says bores me."

"jesus, your dad is like two feet away. stop yelling about your hatred for mr. yang." hoseok scolds. he's annoyed but his eyes still have that little glint, that sparkle and it's so endearing to see. "so kook, are you willing to help us with chem?"

the younger smiles, a small one because this isn't something big enough to let out the full capacity of his smile. "sure. but i gotta warn you, i don't have a lot of patience when it comes to teaching people."

yoongi pipes up. "oh we know. he tried to teach seokjin hyung a boxing move one time and he almost pushed the guy down the stairs." and the boys all laugh at the story of the oldest and the youngest fighting over something so trivial to the point of injuring themselves. hoseok's laugh is loud and a bit raspy, combined with jimin's bubbly giggle is rather loud.

the noise captures the attention of some of the adults that stand in their own little circles in the living room. their eyes fall directly onto jungkook, almost blaming him for the sound. his smile fades and once again he is reminded that he doesn't fit in at these events.

prissy society galas, fancy parties, they are no place for jeon jungkook, no place for a boy born out of an early marriage fling between a bored housewife and a lovestruck gardener. people practically glare at him with disgust that he's here, whispering sinful little quips that haneul should've left jungkook with joongki to save himself the embarrassment.

people stand in their own circles of friends, decked out in expensive dresses from european brands that no one could pronounce. nervous waiters walk around with flutes of champagne and cute little appetizers that were surprisingly delicious.

haewon appears out of nowhere. her hair is slightly frazzled, cheeks flushed and she's running around the place in a similar fashion to their mother. she needs to check up on every group, say hi to every auntie and make conversation because this is her party after all.

"jungkook." she hisses. "if you and your friends are going to be loud, do it outside or upstairs. don't be rude." her eyes traverse down his body, the outfit that was picked for him. "and please change your earrings, you look like a damn gang member." haewon huffs before leaving, putting on a overly sugary smile for the group of people that'll forget her ten minutes later.