having a talk

julia, derek and jacob sat in jacobs room, derek and jacob playing video games while julia sat on jacobs bed, scrolling through her phone. "derek, your dads here." andy said, opening the door. "oh, okay. see you jake." derek said, "see you." jacob replied. "thanks for having me mrs. barber, mr. barber." derek said, "anytime." andy replied. "you alright?" laurie asked, placing a hand on his shoulder. "yeah, i guess." derek said. "give our best to your parents. okay?" laurie said, "yeah, okay." derek said, nodding his head before making his way out. "hey pal, we wanted to talk to you for a second." andy said, "oh uh, i can go downstairs if got want me to." julia said, "no it's fine, we wanted to talk to you to." andy said, julia nodding her head in response. "we just wanted to see how you guys are doing, how you're feeling, about what happened to ben." laurie told the two, "i'm fine, i mean, yeah it's weird but, it's not like we were close friends or anything." jacob said, "julia?" laurie asked, turning her head towards her. "yeah i mean, i wasn't really close to him either." julia said, shrugging her shoulders. "yeah well, still must be scary knowing someone that got murdered, someone your guys age." andy said, "i guess. i mean yeah, a little bit." jacob said. "you guys were in a class together, right?" laurie asked jacob. "yeah, math." jacob replied. "was he a nice kid?" andy asked, "ben? he was alright." jacob said. "just alright?" laurie asked, "well i don't wanna be mean or anything but, he was kinda full of himself, you know? like, he thought he was really cool." jacob explained. "was he?" andy asked. "to some people, yeah. girls were into him." jacob said, causing andy and lauries attention to go on julia. "oh, no. i wasn't one of them. i mean yeah, he was okay but it's not like i knew him too well." julia said. "well, we just wanted to let you guys know we're here for you, okay. whatever you're feeling you can tell us." laurie told jacob and julia. "kinda just did. like i said, i don't really know him that well. me and julia are good though, really." jacob said. "okay, well if you change your mind-" laurie began, "i know." jacob said, cutting her off. "julia, you staying for dinner in thirty minutes?" laurie asked, jacob quickly looked up at julia, hoping she'd say yes. "yeah, sure." julia replied. andy and laurie left the room before julia got up and sat next to jacob, leaning her head on his shoulder.