the knife

julia woke up to the sound of soft snores filling the air and the brightness from the rising sun peeking in through the blinds. "jake," she whispered, shaking him. no response. "wake up jaaaake." she said. he let out a tired groan before tightening his grip on her waist, tiredly mumbling something along the lines of "i don't wanna get up.." into the top of head.

eventually she managed to wake him up, they were now all ready to go to school, only being stopped by andy and laurie in the kitchen. "what?" jacob asked. julia furrowed her brows at the look andy and laurie were giving jacob. "you wanna tell us what this is?" andy asked, julia and jacobs eyes fixated on a knife placed on the countertop. that's what he must've been looking for.. julia thought to herself. "you were snooping in my room?" jacob asked, "i was. not your mother, that's not the point." andy said, sternly. "it's just something i got, its not a big deal." jacob said, julia felt a weird eerie feeling, but stood quite. "not a big deal? than why didn't you tell us?" laurie asked. "i only hid it because i knew you'd freak out." jacob replied. "you got that part right." andy said. "did you buy it online?" laurie questioned. "no. at the army navy store in town, i paid for it by the way, with my own money, i'm just saying." jacob stated. "when was this?" andy asked. "i don't know, a couple months ago." jacob said. julia questioned in her head why jacob wouldn't tell her about this, but that was besides the point. "ever bring it to school?" andy asked. "just once, to show some people." jacob replied. "who?" andy asked. "derek, dylan. i was just like, hey check this out." jacob explained.

"have you ever used it?" andy questioned. "like for what?" jacob asked. "for whatever you use a knife for." andy replied, sternly. "you read dereks post, didn't you?" jacob asked. julia was starting to get a clue of what they were talking about, she knew what derek wrote. "why would he write that?" laurie asked. "cause he's an asshole, that's why." jacob said. "you didn't answer my question, have you ever used it?" andy asked. "like to stab somebody? no! how could you even ask me that?" jacob said, starting to get upset. julia wanted to comfort him, in some way but she stood frozen in her place, not sure what to say or do. "because i have too. because i have to know with absolute certainty that this isn't the knife they're looking for! well?" andy exclaimed. "andy, he just told you." laurie said. "i can't believe this. that you'd even think that about me." jacob said. "of course we don't." laurie said. "yeah, whatever." jacob muttered, grabbing julia's hand and beginning to walk towards the door. "hey, look we believe every word you said, we just wanna know why derek wrote what he wrote, we thought he was your friend." laurie said, causing the two to come to a stop. "he is. it's not a big deal." jacob replied. "not a big deal? jake, he accused you of murder in a public forum." andy said. "no one means what they say on there, that's what kids do, they just talk shit and they try to sound cool, that's all it is." jacob explained. "so you're not at all bothered by what he wrote?" andy asked. "i mean, yes i am. but, he was just being a dick. no one takes it serious. honest. i'm sorry i didn't tell you about the knife, okay?" jacob said.

"can i have it back now?" jacob asked. "that's not even remotely funny." laurie said. "i bought it, it's mine." jacob said. "not anymore." andy replied. "we're gonna be late for school." jacob muttered before grabbing something out of the cupboard. "i can drive you guys if you wanna wait a few." laurie suggested. "no, it's fine, we'll walk." jacob said. "what time will you be home?" laurie asked jacob. "uh i don't know, i might stay for math." jacob replied. laurie pulled jacob into a hug, telling him she loves him. "love you too." he muttered. "hey, i shouldn't of yelled." andy said, jacob glanced at him for a second before grabbing julia's hand and walking out the door. "that was, intense.." julia said as they began walking. "yeah." jacob said, trailing off. "hey," she said, giving his hand a squeeze, making his eyes glance over at her. "are you okay?" she asked, genuinely. his face softened when his eyes met her's, a small smile blooming on his face. "i'm always okay when i'm with you." he said.