6

Billie's eyes widened as her stomach dropped to her feet, "Wait Mom, I can explain-"

"Explain what?" Maggie hissed, her eyes gleaming with fury, "That you couldn't keep safe despite me begging you to? That you deliberately disobeyed my orders? That you broke our promise?"

"I didn't mean to" Billie's voice shook, her heart racing rapidly as her lip quivered, "Mom listen."

"Do you even know the father?" Maggie continued, undeterred. "Or let me guess, there are multiple prospects?"

Despite her efforts, Billie's vision blurred with tears, "How can you say that Mom? It was just a mistake!"

"A mistake, she says." Maggie scoffed sarcastically, "Just a mistake?! Do you realize what this will cost you? I did everything for you so you wouldn't end up like my sister! Pregnant at seventeen with no-one to help raise your child. Do you know how much she suffered because of the pregnancy? And now here you are, doing the exact same shit!"

"Mom, I'm sorry! Please just hear me out!"

"Now you'll spend your days working morning through evening just to support this child of yours and you'll never get anywhere in life. You've ruined all your chances because you weren't careful like I told you several hundreds of times!"

"Mom, please!"

"I warned you, Billie!" she yelled, "I told you to always be safe time after time after time, but you didn't listen!"

'Just hear me out!" Billie cried in distress.

"I don't want to hear it!" Maggie screeched. She took a deep shaky breath, shaking her head in disgust, "You're a lost cause. Get the fuck out of this house. I want nothing to do with this."

With blurred vision, Billie's gaze snapped to her dad who had been watching the argument. "Dad! Say something! Don't let her do this! Please!"

He opened his mouth and then closed it, an apologetic look coming up on his face. "I'm sorry Billie, she's made her decision."

Maggie flung the wrinkled picture out at Billie, and then slammed the door shut, leaving Billie standing there in shock at what had just happened.

"Mom please don't do this! Just let me in! I'm sorry!" Billie banged on the door, but was only rewarded with the sound of the lock clicking in place, "Please... I'm begging you... Don't abandon me..."

Billie sank down onto the floor, bringing her knees to her chest and breaking down sobbing in front of the door. She didn't care that a few of the neighbours were looking out there windows, wondering what all the commotion was about. She didn't care that they were gossiping amongst themselves about what could have been the possible cause of the argument. All she could think about was the fact that she had lost her home. She'd officially been kicked out by her parents. And what hurt the most wasn't the fact that she had gotten kicked out. What hurt so badly was the deceived way with which Maggie had looked at Billie as if she was a stain on her ledger. The one imperfection on Maggie's otherwise perfect life resume.

"Why..." Billie whimpered, hand shaking as she gripped her ultrasound photo.

Why does shit always have to get fucked up for me? This is all your fucking fault!

Billie had imagined that when she did tell Maggie about her pregnancy, she would be mad and a little disappointed, but she would understand. Never had Billie imagined such an extreme belligerent response.

Maggie had rejected Billie completely. And now, she'd thrown Billie out on her ass to fend for herself. She didn't even know if this was temporary or not. But judging from the fact that the suitcase was near full to the brim with her clothes and some shoes, this was likely to be a long term arrangement.