14

Billie stood there in complete shock, staring right at her dad. He was gaping at her abdomen with an unknown look on his face.

She wasn't sure how to act. This was her dad. She once had been so close with him. Until everything happened. But then she realised that he hadn't really ever said anything about the pregnancy. All he did was agree with her mother. She couldn't really be mad with him until she heard what he needed to say.

"I just came to talk. I just had to see you."

Billie swallowed thickly and sat up slowly, "Okay. I'm listening. Talk."

"Billie what the hell happened?"

His tone wasn't necessarily disparaging, but it wasn't exactly pleased and Billie realised that he didn't want any beating around the bush or messing around. He wanted the exact truth from her; she could tell.

"I was careless. And now I'm having a baby girl." Billie held a serious gaze, forcing her fright down. "And I'm going to raise her."

He stared at her in shock for a moment before running a hand over his face and taking a seat on the sofa by the window, letting out a deep, ragged sigh. Billie swallowed down the feelings of fear pervading her mind, but she felt a little comfort when Sarah lightly squeezed her shoulder. Derek flanked her on the other side, sitting next to her and giving her gentle rubs on the back.

"I'm so sorry dad. I messed everything up." Billie said, looking at the rug. "Are you disappointed in me."

"I'm going to be honest" Patrick said apologetically, "I would be lying if I said I wasn't. I kind of am disappointed in you, Billie."

She felt a sting on pain, knowing that his words had deeply affected her. Tears pricked at the back of her eyes, but she forced herself to take deep even breaths. Of course that was his answer. This is the same dad that let her mom kick her out. But she wasn't expecting him to welcome her home. She was just glad to see him.

"I'm not here to invite you back into the home, because your mother has made things pretty clear. I'm just here to make sure you understand some things. I still want to be in contact with you. You are my daughter. I mean, it's good that you're trying to raise your child, and you're taking responsibility for your actions and all, but Billie. Do you not realise what this means?"

"I get it. I completely fucked up. But im okay. I don't need your help."

He gave Derek and Sarah confused looks. "So you've been keeping Billie here since October, living in Drew's room and sharing her bed without any thoughts or consequences to where she'll be able to go after the baby is born?"

Billie was absolutely positive all three of them sitting on the bed stiffened in shock at the force of his words.

"Look, I know you guys mean well. And I'm grateful that she has somewhere to go. I mean I would offer to pay for her to stay somewhere, but I can't physically afford it and I can't fight Maggie on this one. But let's face it Derek and Sarah, you both are too close to the situation. You need to be real here. Are you going to keep letting Billie share a bed with Drew as she keeps growing? What happens when she can no longer really control her bladder? Or she gets really large and can't sleep comfortably in the same bed as Drew?"

"We'll buy her a new one?" Derek suggested.

"That's not the point." Patrick forced. "What I'm saying is, right now, you have no qualms accommodating Billie because you haven't thought ahead, but what happens when she has the baby? Where is the baby going to stay? Where is she going to stay? Are you guys planning on buying all the things she needs to care for this baby? Think about what raising Drew was like. You know what babies entail. Not only do you have a extra mouth to feed because of Billie, but then you'll have two extra mouths to feed. And what are you going to do? Just let her live with you in Drew's room as Billie raises the kid? Get real. All of you."