8

Whoever had the idea to host the party at the abandoned warehouse: genius.

Their basketball team had won the first game of the season, and like all ridiculous high school seniors, they had to celebrate that win at the beginning of the year with a bang. So people had called other people, alcohol had been brought with fake IDs or stolen from parent's liquor cabinets, an impromptu student DJ was assigned to bring party music and speakers, girls went home to change into their trashiest outfits, and voila. A party had been born. Everyone at school had been invited to partake in the celebration of their team's great victory.

Billie hadn't really been interested in going to the party since she had long ago lost interest in watching drunk idiots grind on each other, but had gone so that Drew wouldn't have to go alone. They'd had taken a couple of shots at the start so it hadn't been such a big deal, but now that Drew was more interested with trying to get with Prince, Billie felt like she was third wheeling hard. And even though Brandon was a part of the reason why the party had kicked off in the first place, she hadn't seen him all night. Not that she was particularly looking at him or anything...

"Drew. I'm getting some fresh air." She shouted over the noise.

"Be safe!" Drew responded, holding her cup haphazardly over her head as she backed up into Prince.

Billie left the clumped mass of bodies and headed outside to the front, sitting on the curb of the sidewalk, away from the couple heavily making out against the wall. She rubbed her hands up and down her arms when a light breeze passed through the dense summer air. It wasn't particularly cold, but the sudden air on her naked arms was enough to make goosebumps rise.

Though she wouldn't lie. Billie loved this weather. She loved the evenings when the night was sticky with heat and a light breeze kicked up, unsettling that bubble of warmth that would surround her. On nights like those, she always believed something big was going to happen. She closed her eyes, inhaling deeply and rocking side to side. She wished there was a way she could take the feeling of the wind and put it directly into the perfect song. She'd tried before, but it never came out the way she expected or wanted.

Her thoughts were broken when someone shuffled out of the warehouse and plopped down next to her.

"Not really in the partying mood?"

She opened her eyes and glanced at Brandon. He had that drunken, crooked grin on his face.

"Nah..." she said, leaning her head on his shoulder. She loved the scent of his cologne. "Just came to get out of the house. You?"

"I got bored."

"How?" she snorted, "You're like the star of tonight's party, Mr Captain. Isn't everybody all over you?"

"You aren't..." He muttered, playing with a lock of her unruly hair.

"What?" She snickered incredulously at his words.

She turned to look at him, and her smile faded slowly when he just watched her intently, his expression solemn. She swallowed thickly and looked back out towards the cars parked in the street, knowing that her face was flushing rather quickly.

"You played really well tonight, Kane." She said, quickly changing the subject.

"Probably my best." He agreed, grinning boyishly, "It's because you were in the stands cheering me on."

Billie stiffened. What game was he playing? Why the hell was he making these comments? She glared at him, feeling flustered and slightly out of control.