21

Billie stood ramrod straight, staring wide eyed at the tall man, sweat running down her back. She could hear her heart drumming in her ears, her breathing a little harsher than it was before.

From what Brandon had told her about his father and now seeing him in person, Christopher Adams was a cold hearted, dispassionate man. He and Brooklyn were currently seperated until the divorce would be finalized in May. Brooklyn had told Billie he only stayed with her and Brandon in November because he'd been in Los Angeles on business, and it was only practical to stay with them. But she'd also told her that he wasn't planning on returning to Los Angeles until May to finally finish up the divorce proceedings and receive his settlement.

So what was he doing in Los Angeles?

Billie swallowed thickly, steeling her nerves and trying to appear more courageous than she fet. She held her head higher, still protectively covering her abdomen.

"Can I help you?"

"Where is my son?"

"He's not in right now."

"You're not very bright, are you?" He said, a look of disgust on his face.

His insult took Billie off guard, and she frowned in slight confusion. How would he know anything about her intelligence and smarts and what not? They'd never met before today.

"Excuse me?" she snarled.

"You left the door completely unlocked. Anyone could have just walked in."

"An oversight on my part." Her eyes narrowed. "So can I help you? Because I've got a lot of stuff to do, and I don't have time to chat."

"I wasn't aware that my son and his mother were hoarding a destitute." He replied with his eyes narrowed, "The least you could do, as a guest in the home I paid for, is introduce yourself. Who are you?"

"I don't need to introduce myself to you." She said lowly, her gaze mistrusting. "Brooklyn opened her home to me. And as far as I'm concerned, I owe you no explanation."

His eyes glinted with something malicious, and Billie fought to keep her gaze on his.

"Very well then. In that case, let me cut to the point." Christopher replied evenly, his gaze impassive, "I was suspicious as to why Brandon decided to apply to only schools in California when with his grades and resume, he could have easily gotten into more prestigious universities. So I asked him, and he responded that his interests lied in California."

Christopher snorted. "A ridiculous notion, of course. His interests do not lie in California. He's always loved New York. He wanted to go to school in New York. So I came here to set him straight. Imagine my surprise when I walked into the apartment under my name and found some knocked up little whore in her ninth month."

"Seventh." Billie said through clenched teeth.

He snorted derisively as he stared daggers at her belly, and Billie took a slight step back, alarmed by the vitriol and treachery in the hazel brown eyes.

"It's become quite clear to me, that stupidly, Brandon has knocked you up, and you now live with them."

Billie felt some comfort from the kick she felt from Jellybean and stood straighter, looking him dead in the eye.

"So what Brandon knocked me up? It has nothing to do with you. Why do you think he didn't tell you? He clearly doesn't want you in his business."

His mouth turned down into a furious frown.

"It has everything to do with me. Brandon's business is my business and has always been my business and will always be my business. And you're ruining my son's chance at a good life. I don't want him to be tied down to some poor street slut whose only value is in being a stepping stone for Brandon to find a better, more respectable woman. He's having his fun with you now, but he won't be with you in the long run. Give it up."