11

"How come when you saw those girls approach you didn't leave?" Brandon called out from behind the curtain, his voice slightly muffled by the sound of the cascading water.

"I couldn't" Billie said, texting Drew the events of the day as she kicked her legs back and forth, "They snuck up on me before I could avoid them."

He said nothing for a while as he showered, and Billie subtly inhaled deeply. She could smell his aftershave, and it was amazing. She leaned back against the mirror, closing her eyes and relishing in the comfort she felt from the scent.

"Are you shaving?"

"I have dinner with my dad tonight. He tends to be super anal about the stupidest things. He says if I'm going to have a goatee then I have to make sure its completely cleanly shaven."

"He's still here?"

"He's staying until break starts to take me back to New York with him."

Billie nodded, letting the comfortable silence take over the conversation once again. She pulled out her pack of donuts and finished them off quietly, patiently answering Drew's concerned and frantic texts about the harassment. What was with everyone freaking out about it? It honestly hadn't been that big of a deal. Sure, annoying. But nothing worth crying over spilled milk about.

The water cut off and shortly after Brandon came out with his shower caddy clad in just a towel wrapped around his waist. Billie froze mid bite of her last donut, unable to tear her gaze away from him, her eyes taking him in in appreciation. He was still wet with beads of water clinging to his body and his hair was flattened down in odd angles. Sometimes she forgot how attractive Brandon was and whenever she was reminded, it would always smack her in the face. He paused as he walked by her, a small knowing smirk forming on his face when he caught her ogling him.

Brandon rose an amused eyebrow, "You want a napkin for that drool?"

Billie scoffed and went back to texting Drew, trying to pretend like she wasn't a little flustered.

"What? You're a piece of eye candy. And I'm pregnant. Not dead."

Brandon snorted and continued on his way around the corner to his locker to change. Billie considered sneaking around and snapping a secret picture of him to keep for her particularly charged nights, but she forced herself to stay put on the bathroom corner, literally sitting on her hands to make sure she didn't do something stupid.

"You know, you could have gotten really hurt today." Brandon said as he came back around the corner with his school bag, dressed and hair styled for the most part. "Not just you, but also Jellybean."

Billie frowned, "Wait. Are you still going on about that?"

"I've been googling all of these risks you can face now that you're pregnant." He shrugged. coming to stand in front of her. "I can't help but keep thinking about what would have happened if I hadn't gotten there fast enough."

"Nothing would have happened. Let it go." Billie said, rolling her eyes. "Why are you still so freaked out?"

"I just wish you would let me protect you."

Her heart skipped a beat. "I'm not a damsel in distress. I can take care of myself, Kane."

"I know..." He took her hand, stepping closer to her with a smile, "And that's what scares me the most. You would probably be the type to try to deliver the baby on your own even."

Billie laughed, taking his other hand reassuringly. "If it makes you feel better, I'll let you get all Protective Daddy on me one day a week. Deal?"