30

Billie wasn't sure how long they remained in the hallway, Brandon holding her in a tight embrace as if the thought of letting her go terrified him, Billie clutching onto him because she wasn't sure if she let go she would be able to stay upright. Her legs felt like they were about to give out, and her heart was hammering so wildly in her chest she was having trouble breathing.

He was here.

Brandon came back.

"Miss O'Connell?" The nurse finally said, clearing her throat and sounding a little uncomfortable. "Did you still want to see your baby?"

"I do..." she mumbled through a soft sniffle, her face still buried in Brandon's chest, "Can I...Can I have a few minutes to talk to him?"

"Take all the time you need. Let me know when you're ready to go."

Billie heard footsteps leave from behind her, but she remained in place, revelling in the comfort and warmth she felt in Brandon's arms. She hadn't realised how much she had needed it. How much she had truly missed him.

Which only served to remind her of the fact that he'd left.

Brandon must have sensed her hesitation or felt her stiffen, because he slowly pulled back from her the slightest bit, gazing down at her with a tender look in his eyes that it made Billie's heart lurch in her chest. A look so full of sheer relief and care and love that it made her chest hurt.

"Billie..." he murmured.

She said nothing, averting her gaze from his. She was still angry at him. Even if he came, she was still mad, and she was hurt, and she felt guilty. Guilt like nothing else for crushing his heart to pieces when he never deserved those kind of lies.

Why the hell was he here?

With a soft sniffle and a frown, Billie pushed away from him, and Brandon loosened his grip, giving her a little space to back away from him.

"Brandon...We need to talk."

"I know..." he said softly, wiping a tear from her cheek with his thumb before stroking it gently, his gaze affectionate and warm, "I know we do. I know we have things to discuss, but I just...I needed to confirm..."

That I was alive.

Billie nodded, but she stepped back from him completely and out of his reach and stooped, picking up her crutches and steadying herself. She saw the hurt but resigned look flash momentarily through Brandon's eyes as his hand fell slack against his side, but she kept her gaze on the ground, forcing herself to keep some sort of distance.

She had desperately wanted Brandon here to support her, but now that he was here, the only thing going through Billie's mind was that he shouldn't be. Was how him staying would only bring more pain and anguish in his life. She'd already caused him so many problems. She couldn't do this to him again.

Her mind was telling her to end things for real, even if it truly hurt to think about that.

But she didn't want Brandon to suffer any more pain because of her. He needed the distance from her. She needed to protect him.

"Billie-"

"We'll disturb other patients if we stay out here talking." Billie said, moving past him and into her room, "We should go inside."

Brandon nodded and followed her inside the hospital room, though he didn't say anything. He looked a little uncertain now, his expression a little more guarded than before, and Billie knew he had picked up quite a bit on the distance she'd very quickly put between them. She hated doing this to him, but she didn't want to let him again. She'd make life for Brandon worse.